Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BigDaddyHub

Shallow Water Bucktail

Terrific pattern Chris. I'd fish that any day!

I've got a trick for you. Take this fly and run it under the tap until it is completely soaked. Let the excess water drain off toward the tips of tail. Shape the fly in to the minnow profile you want and set it aside to let it slowly air dry. After the drying process, the bucktail hairs will be "trained" to retain the tapered minnow profile. I use this technique a lot to shape bucktail patterns. Hope you find the comment helpful. It is in no way a criticism of your fly.

Extremely helpful tip, Mr Tucker. Training the material had never crossed my mind! Wonderful tip. It would certainly allow the tier to shape and even trim any stray or errant hairs as well! I love the bucktails. Tremendously effective patterns in most of the shallow waters I like to fish for smallies and the big bass. Thank you, Ray!

never knew that ray! that is an excellent idea will have to try that myself.

BDH- that is a great fly. very clean looking.

BigDaddy...

That is a killer green back minnow pattern :headbang: they invade the flats in the summer here, killer trout bait.

Have added to my bookmarks!

I like the color of the head ¿What did you use?

Nice fly as always

Gracias, mi amigo.

The head is Battle ship grey thread Size 8/0. I use 8/0 almost exclusively on every fly except deer hair. It takes longer and more thread to build a head, but you can build a thick head that appears solid and clean, not bulky or "rope like" which is often how heads tied with larger diameter threads appear to me (just personal preference I suppose). I sealed the head with 6 coats of Hard as nails. The eyes are classice painted eyes.

BigDaddy...

That is a killer green back minnow pattern :headbang: they invade the flats in the summer here, killer trout bait.

Have added to my bookmarks!

Thank you. I have a special place in heart for classic styled bucktails. I grew up fishing them with my Granddad for LMB. I guess it's just nostaglia that I fish so many, but with that said, I can honestly report that a bucktail, no matter the species I was fishing, has never left me fishless. I tie them very small for the gills and up to 7" long for bass and salt species. I like to add a few wraps of lead to the shank and fish it on a sink tip for deeper rivers and lakes. Hope it produces well for you!