Fly Tying
FishyboY

Scary Kayak Fishing Accident.

I haven't tried to hit anything with my .40 at a hundred yards but I can guarantee that the return fire may have changed the attitude of the original shooters. 15 to 30 rounds from a .40 in your direction is a good deterrent and it evens the odds out a little. As BDH said, "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal". It is one thing to shoot at someone who is unarmed. It is another thing entirely to have someone return fire.

Maybe I will see what the accuracy of my .40 is at 100 yards this weekend.

Shows that all the nuts in the world aren't in a praline. However, permit me point out something. Many of you talk of getting a handgun to carry. Now, these guys were shooting centerfire rifles. How many of you can hit a target at 100 yards (or more) with a handgun....or even come close?

I've seen my dad shoot a balloon with a .38 2" stubnose at 100 yards. I think it took him 9 rounds. My brother knocked one out in 10ish or so rounds with his .40 Glock. I didn't have the stones to try it. I'm more of a rifle guy, I suppose. But... that was during daylight hours without the water rocking you back and forth. For this purpose, it may be best to beach your boat and pull out a M107 .50 cal sniper rifle.

I agree with Jan, far to many don't.

Wow that is one scary story. That's like hell at night. (which comes in many forms)

I can consistently hit center mass on a human silohuette target, standing and prone, at 100 yards with my 9mm and my .40....There's a reason snipers call it "Kentucky windage". I was roaming the backwoods of Eastern Kentucky with my own .22 at 10, but things were different then.

Now don't misinterupt what I meant in my post...I still think the world is basically good, but I plan ahead, and unfortunately, I see everyday the violence Mankind can inflict on one another. The first time I had to secure a toothbrush stuck in an eyesocket, I was freaked. I've to do it a few times now, and it's just another report and a date with a Grand Jury. I train my crew to "keep you're head on a swivel". I've taught my family to do the same. We don't let things like this keep us from enjoying what we love. Because of my occupation, we are just more aware of our surroundings, even if we think we are the only ones around (coming home Saturday nights covered in pepperspray and a few bruises has a way of letting your family how your day was without ever saying a word). I've run up on more than a few meth labs creekside in Central KY. Not a pleasant experience when you're fishing with the family.

Don't let incidents like this deter you from enjoying the great outdoors. When that happens, you become a victim of your fears and a victim is not what you want to be.....ever. Stay safe. Peace, love, and purple wild flowers, ya'll! :D