Fly Tying
Kilgore Trout

Vise and What You Tie

But, is the Traveler going to last me a long time? Or will I want to upgrade in the near future? My fly tying is always improving and I like to be challenged, so will the Traveler grow with me, or should I get a bigger set up just to make sure?

That is what I am debating, spending money on a better or more versatile vise or getting by on a smaller one.

The traveler will last you forever. I work at a fly shop and our main selling vise is the traveler. I also tie on one. I have tied #24 tricos up to 1/0 saltwater hooks. I have also spun and stacked deer hair on it. works amazing for it all. I am sure it can tie on larger hooks i just have only tried a 1/0. They are an amazing vise for the money. You will see many a people really like renzetti's. most tie on travlers, some tie on presentations, and the chosen few(amazing) tyers tie on a master. They are all great vises. For the money go with the traveler. You will never need to buy another vise, that is unless you decide you want to upgrade! the traveler will go with you though out your tying i know some amzing tyers who still tye on one and it works great for them. The only think you need to be careful of(with any cam vise) is that you don't tighten it to hard. the majority of the travelers that come into the shop with problems are because people tightened the cam to much. they still loved the vise to death. and many of the broken ones that came in were really old because they lasted that long. if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

I am in a similar situation as you, and I am about to order a peak in a week or two. Mainly for ease of switching jaws and the jaws themselves. I mostly tie sizes 14 and smaller and decided to go with the peak, and I havent met anyone dissatisfied with one yet, from all the reviews I have seen. I got kind of tired trying to tie around vise jaws, so the midge jaws of the peak look very appealing to me, I feel like I will be able to be more precise with my flies.

sidenote, love the username. completely jealous that I didnt think of that when i registered.

I recently purchased a Dyna-king trekker. I tie a wide range from 20 to 2/0 bass and I wanted a vise that could span that range. I've tried the renzetti traveler but personally it did not click with me.

Thanks for all the advice! I got a lot of info to make my decision and purchased a Traveler today. What really sealed the deal was being on the river last night, seeing tons of fish rising to size 18/20 sulphers. Since I can only go down to 14 (16 if I put up with hooks slipping from time to time) I had to get a new vise ASAP. So many fish passed my monster 14s that it was pretty unproductive. Luckily, a nice brown sucked up a nymph earlier in the fish.

With my new vise, they will be doomed!

Thanks for all the advice! I got a lot of info to make my decision and purchased a Traveler today. What really sealed the deal was being on the river last night, seeing tons of fish rising to size 18/20 sulphers. Since I can only go down to 14 (16 if I put up with hooks slipping from time to time) I had to get a new vise ASAP. So many fish passed my monster 14s that it was pretty unproductive. Luckily, a nice brown sucked up a nymph earlier in the fish.

With my new vise, they will be doomed!

WHHOOOO HOOO!!! :headbang: congrats on the new vise you will love it

I use a Regal, the majority of the flies I tie are in the 2 to 2/0 range, and I rarely go smaller than an 8. When I tied commercially, with the same vise, the smallest I tied was a size 16. I also tie jigs on this vise. Anything I tie on larger or heavier hooks that the Regal won't handle are done on a homemade vise. :)