Fly Tying
troutguy

Yellow stonefly

Tied a couple of semi realistic stoneflies this evening. Size 12 foam extended abdomen with fur thorax.

post-3361-1275451302_thumb.jpg

post-3361-1275451128_thumb.jpg

Thats a wicked tie - how long did it take ? and what material are you using for the legs ?

Thank you very much. This is the first one. The legs are small porcupine quills with a thin copper wire inserted in. I then flattened the quill.The tails are biots. The antenna are porcupine guard hair. They take 30 minutes to tie. The abdomen is tied on a pin or needle then pulled of an tied on hook. The wing cases are pheasant tail. They are weighed with dental lead. The eyes are mono/plastic (bought).

They look better if I melted mono but was watching Justified on TV and did not want to miss by going outside to melt 25 lb test mono.

I adjusted the pictures I took last night. These two are better photos. Have to go to work or I would take some outside, natural light is always best. They are totally fishable. The abdomen is soft and flexible and the underside is dubbed fur. I will use these in a deep slow gin clear pool with those trout i drool over that never bite.

post-3361-1275484284_thumb.jpg

post-3361-1275484375_thumb.jpg