Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NJ All Day

The Addiction...

utyer, great story and at the center lies the spirit shared by many. You were EXTREME before extreme was even in our vocabulary!

Kirk

Great posts, everybody, keep 'em coming. :)

my addiction started last year around this time.

It was a little after they stopped stocking the trout around my local streams. I was looking for a new way to catch the trout because i loved catching them. I saw my aunt and uncle catch some trout on their manmade ponds and i was pretty intrigued. Since i was only 15 i didnt have to much money to buy anything to good. So i bought a cheap combo and went to my local fly shop. They hooked me up with a bunch of flies and everything i needed. so i began cathcing fish.

This year for Christmas i got a Sage Launch fly rod and a Lamson Konic fly reel. I also got a cabelas fly tying kit. Ive been tying ever since.

It was a little after they stopped stocking the trout around my local streams. I was looking for a new way to catch the trout because i loved catching them. I saw my aunt and uncle catch some trout on their manmade ponds and i was pretty intrigued. Since i was only 15 i didnt have to much money to buy anything to good. So i bought a cheap combo and went to my local fly shop. They hooked me up with a bunch of flies and everything i needed. so i began cathcing fish.

This year for Christmas i got a Sage Launch fly rod and a Lamson Konic fly reel. I also got a cabelas fly tying kit. Ive been tying ever since.

Great story hey i see that your from Northern NJ... what rivers do you fish up there?

I was never what you consider a "real" fisherman. I just went because it was something to do outdoors when there was nothing to hunt, but I always wanted to try fly fishing because it looked more like a challenage and you were constanting doing something in an attempt to get the fish to bite. In 2008 after I have lived in Alaska for 3 years, I decided that it was time to attempt fly fishing. Only problem was it was February and ice out doesn't have till mid to late May. So I went to the store and seen a clearance fly tying kit for $15 and now you know where all my extra money goes. I am still tying on that cheap vise, but have saved up and this fall I will be buying a HMH spartan or standard. If I knew fly tying was so addicting I would have bought a bigger house.

I do not know about the rest of you, but catching a fish your 1st time fly fishing and using you own fly was one of the best feelings in the world.

Great story hey i see that your from Northern NJ... what rivers do you fish up there?

Hey NJ ALL DAY, I fish the Pequannock, Wanaque, and Ramapo mostly. How about you?