Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mickalo

Muddlers and Spinning Hair

As like many other tiers spinning deer hair has never been my strong point. I've tried my hand at tying some muddlers .... they came OK I guess, but could have been allot better.

I came across this article yesterday and it was a really big help for me. Thought I'd post the link to the article it may be of help to other tiers

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/flies/l...s_muddlers.aspx

Mike

Thanks for the link, great find, really good article. I have read similar from other authors about the muddler being sparse and not like the tightly packed cork head it has evolved into although those catch fish too.

I really like a red tail on a fly and much prefer this design to the one by Bailey with the turkey tail.

Thanks again,

Kirk

yea it reminded me of a similar pattern I came across on Youtube called the marabou muddler. It also uses the red tail(hackle fibers) with marabou under wing, black or yellow and some herl.

Mike

Mike, I love anything with deerhair and muddlers are one of my favorites. Very simple pattern that has a time and a place in fishing. Its too bad you didn't catch the class we had in the virtual, heres an example of what we tied

post-4571-1275792135_thumb.jpg

Mike, I love anything with deerhair and muddlers are one of my favorites. Very simple pattern that has a time and a place in fishing. Its too bad you didn't catch the class we had in the virtual, heres an example of what we tied

I'am a very new tyer and I really am glad you guys are so helpful to guys like me. Evwery tyer I have delt with is very willing to share and take time to help. Thanks. :yahoo: