Fly Tying
dwiltshire

Ultra Simple Olive Emerger

Thats the way to do it, keep it simple. Nice pattern, I'm sure it will do the job. Great work as always.

Dave,

you must fish some real slow slick streams - a lot of your flies seem to be very light and simple - beautiful - but I suspect on a lot of the waters I fish I wonder how they would stay afloat. Freestone streams provide for much "rougher" water conditions outside of the slicks and soft pockets.

Thanks folks.

David - agreed. When faced with boisterous / bouncy water, I prefer a hackled fly. However, much of the water (and the fish) demands simple patterns fished through smooth glides / feeding lanes - where a more heavily dressed pattern may often be refused.

Cheers,

Dave,

Looks like a killer to me, I'd fish that with confidence. I know some big bruising backwater browns that would probably agree ;)

What did you use for the body Dave? Is it stripped peacock quill, it looks like the body has some fuzzy CDC poking through?

I really like your hook choice, never seen that model before.

Thanks folks.

What did you use for the body Dave? Is it stripped peacock quill, it looks like the body has some fuzzy CDC poking through?

Karsten, the body is nothing more than open thread wraps ad CDC. To be fair, the whole pattern has probably, at most, only 20 wraps of thread.

As for the hook, they are very strong, even in a #20. Well worth a try - especially if there's the chance of some larger fish :)