Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Favorite stillwater patterns...

Hello everyone, well it looks like I will be getting out this weekend camping and fishing a lake. I was wondering what everyone likes to use in the stillwaters. I normally use leeches and wooly buggers but was wondering what else would work. I live in Colorado and the water temps are at 60 to upper 50's.

Thanks

Jim

Jim i dont fish stillwaters much at all....very, very rarely to be honest, but when i do i like to use flies that have alot of built in movement..lots of marabou,filoplum,rubber legs,etc...

SD

Hey Jim,

You may want to try some larger (size 6 or even 4) hex nymphs, Clousers and dragonfly nymphs if they are present in the area. Among the flies listed above, I consider Clousers to be the deadliest.

Best of luck! thumbsup.gif

Nick

Hi Jim,

I tie a fly I call a Swimming Pheasant Tail. Just substitute the regular tail on a PT Nymphs with a short clump of Chickabou or marabou. It has served me well in both moving and still waters! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Thanks to everyone for their input. I have tied up mutliple wooly buggers in different sizes and colors, using chenille and also using krystal dubbing. I will be tying more before I leave for the weekend.

Al on that swimming pt. Do you use any wetfly hackle on it also? I have seen some pt with the hackle on it and was wondering how they work. I might have to tie me up a few and find out for myself.

Thanks

Jim

I have to agree, lots of built in movement is almost always the key. personally my most used stillwater patern is a wolly bugger with a black tail, a body out of some speckled olive/black chinelle, and dyed olive grizley hackle. your mileage may vary of course. Also one day, i couldn't get a hit at all, so i tied on a carrot.. black hackle fiber tail, orange floss body, a small black chinelle ball, and 2 turns of black wet fly hackle in front of that.. i caught a bunch of brookies on this fly in a size 12-14. it may pay off to take a few midge or emerger patterns, even though its cold.

josh