Fly Tying
Lionus

Trico's and other small flies

Just was wondering what everyone used for tying tiny dry flies. I am wanting to tie some trico spinners but, I am having trouble finding a appropriate material. Niche Siliconised Polypropylene Yarn has been suggested on one website, but I have not been able to find it. I like the look of it on the tricos. Anyone else have any good suggestions? Many thanks.

I use very thin clear foam. Easy to tie, just trim to shape. Or medallion sheeting.

Try glitter thread from Canadian Llama. I have 6 or 7 .. or 8 .. different colors of it and have used the white for quite a few different things. Charlie Craven and Charlie's Flybox has a material called Rojo floss which is .. from what I understand .. Oral B floss. That may also work for you with a little floatant on it.

Mike

Sparkle organza, otherwise known as bridal veil material. Tease the fibers out of the weave and strap it on. Available at a fabric store near you, and pretty darned cheap really.

I have used poly yarn for years without trying the siliconized kind. I also use Zelon and Hi-Vis. For spinners I tie now I have gone mainly to the Ellis triple wing found in Galloup's book on Cripples and Spinners.

Ditto sparkle organza.

WM will probably cut you off a strip to square up the edge of their bolt; that will give you a life-time supply. Comes in white or tan. Use markers to color fibers to suit.

Or, if you don't care for synthetics, try cut feather wings or burnt using modified wing burners to size.