Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Squirrely

This is my first data base submission, I think I did alright, the process was pretty self explanatory especially with Deeky's assistance.

Just a note about the fly: I started tying this back in the early 1980's after having sucess with a squirrel tail hair jig that I tied on a 1/16 oz lead head. A fly fishing buddy in the local club, Tom Jindra, suggested I tie the jig on a nymph hook with bead chain eyes to make it castable with the fly rod. It casted a lot better but did not take any sac-a-lait like the jig did but it did take bluegill like crazy and on the first few trips, I caught catfish and bass on the tiny brown morsel as well. It is still my go-to fly for bluegill when I go subsurface.

Kirk

Kirk, that is a good pattern alright. I tied some up for Casting For Recovery, and they were a big hit. I think you used bigger bead chain eyes than I did, so I will try it both ways. Your way will make the fly go deeper...at this time of the year it cannot hurt, that is for sure. Excellent job!!

Kirk's correct. Down here in LA, that's not Los Angles or Lower Alabama, his "Squirrely" has been in our boxes for close to 25 years, 'cuz they work!

Kyle

This is my first data base submission, I think I did alright, the process was pretty self explanatory especially with Deeky's assistance.

Just a note about the fly: I started tying this back in the early 1980's after having sucess with a squirrel tail hair jig that I tied on a 1/16 oz lead head. A fly fishing buddy in the local club, Tom Jindra, suggested I tie the jig on a nymph hook with bead chain eyes to make it castable with the fly rod. It casted a lot better but did not take any sac-a-lait like the jig did but it did take bluegill like crazy and on the first few trips, I caught catfish and bass on the tiny brown morsel as well. It is still my go-to fly for bluegill when I go subsurface.

Kirk

hey kirk, on those smaller flies do you do the mono base on the bead eyes like you do on the bigger ones?

Chase, thanks, let me know how you make out.

Kel, glad they were a hit with folks, people do like simple. The bead chain I mainly use is the standard light/ceiling fan pull chain size. For shallow water, I'll use the smaller size; I found tiny brass in a craft shop pachaged as key chains they came about a dozen - 4 in pieces in a package. Then for some folks that fish sac-a-lait and deep water bream, I've used lead eyes.

Kyle, didn't realize many folks other than myself have used the fly; being such a simple tie, no one asks me to make them for them. What have you manged to get to eat the Squirrely over the years?

Letumgo, I may have to tie some up on an 8 or 6 and send to my friend in the Keys.

John, with the smallest of the bead chain, I don't do the mono. On the regular and larger bead chain I do tie in the mono cause; I think it helps get a few more fish before the eyes twist around. Of course it still catches fish but just won't ride hook point up with the eyes on the gap side.

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk, I have to ask! What's the purpose of clipping the white off the hair? No offense intended, I really enjoy seeing your flies & respect your talent, but I just can't bring myself to clip the tips off hair, ( any hair!) seems to me to ruin the natural action, and don't like the looks of it. <_<

I'm tying up some flies for a trip to the SC coast in Oct. I'm hoping to find some Redfish or trout, but will be near the Waccamaw River as well, so might give the bass & panfish a try.

I've been thinking I need to tie something simple with squirrel tail, and I've tied bonefish & redfish flies with squirrel tail in the past.

This looks like it will fit the bill, but not sure I'll clip the hair! :rolleyes: :)

Tidewater, no offense, I like questions and that is one many ask.

I cut the tips off originally on the little jig to make it like a mini Shad Rig (the old saltwater jig with the lead head and crimped nylon tail that was cut off like a wisk broom) Also, I liked the idea of the black banding being at the rear tips like the back edge of a minnow's tail. When I started tying the flyrod version with the bead eyes, I didn't even think about leaving the white tips after catching so many fish on the mini squirrel tail jig with the black tipped square tail. Old habit die hard.

So, after the fact, I kind of justify the clipping by thinking that while many critters have flimsy flowing tails and rear ends like damselflies, there are just as many or more with squared or blunt rear ends like most minnows, dragon fly nymphs, etc.

Of course, you realize, the justifying is made up after the fact of having the jig work as well as the fly with the white cut off; kind of like justifying drunken behavior after you get out of jail.

Kirk

Kirk, thanks for explanation!

I just don't like the look of the clipped hair! :unsure: I have my own old habits! :lol:

Of course, you realize, the justifying is made up after the fact of having the jig work as well as the fly with the white cut off; kind of like justifying drunken behavior after you get out of jail.

Yep, been there! :rolleyes:

I guess if it works, that's all that matters.

I'm going to tie up some similar flies, I have some chartreuse bead chain & some natural red squirrel tails. I've had success with chartreuse & brown before, so........., we'll see!

I doubt I'll clip the tips tho! :)

Thanks again! :D

Chart eyes with red squirrel tail sounds like a killer. I don't think I'd cut the orange tips from the red squirrel either. Like to see a pic after you get one down, especially if it is attached to a fish's lips.

Kirk

Kirk,

I've had Squirrely's in my bream boxes for so long I had forgotten when or where it came from. I know that the North Louisiana and New Orleans Fly Fishers both started in 1984 and that in Shreveport, we were tying Squirrelies not long afterwards. Back then we were interested in simple patterns that would consistantly catch bream - some things don't ever change!

I also remember when a couple of the guys in the Red Stick Fly Fishers started tying them up in the early-mid 90's, which I assume was after you came up for a club tying demo in Baton Rouge or maybe I showed them... I don't remember.

I do know that we always called 'em Squirrelies... and therefore, the pattern had to have come from you! You know it's hell when ya' get "long in the tooth" and forget such things! However, I DID ways remembered that it wasn't one of MY patterns... HA!

I have always tied in the wing a little differently than in your original. I don't always clip off the white tips. I often stack the hair's white tips and then leave them unclipped, as I think that these fine tips add more action. Heck, I also use fox squirrel tail hair for rusty Squirrelies with similar catching qualities.

Also, I'll start by either reverse-tying in the wing, trimming the butts, then folding the wing back into place (i.e. towards the rear), and then tying in the wing; or I'll tie in the wing, and then fold the butts back across the tops of the wing (i.e. toward the rear), tie in those butts, and then clipping the butts. Either of these methods leaves the hair "locked-in". I find by doing either of these methods that the notoriously slick squirrel tail hair won't slip and that those Squirrelies with locked in wings last a lot longer.

However, like your original pattern, I NEVER add in a body, as it is not necessary.

This is a great simple, little pattern for beginning tyers to learn on and then use to go catch bream.

Kyle

PS

For anyone who might care, in 1984, I was in the North Louisiana Fly Fishers, while Kirk Dietrich and Tom Jindra were in the New Orleans Fly Fishers.

By the way, IMHO there is no better way to learn to tie "local" patterns in your area than to join the Federation of Fly Fishers and your local Federation club. Heck if ya' do, you'll probably meet great guys like Kirk or Tom!

Kyle, good advice - local clubs are the way to go. Tom Jindra and Ted Cabali started the NOFF in mid to late 1983 and I joined their 2nd or third meeting in September 1983 - dues were only $10, man, what a bargain!!

Anyway, I've never thought about leaving the white tips on. I might have to join a 12 step program to get my hands to actually not cut the tips off.

Kirk