Fly Tying
Horseshoes

SCUD SWAP

I have finished my scuds, all 13 of them. I have added a little weight.

Just letting you know that it is not lead weight. This is for those who have lead restrictions, like me.

Guess I can't yell for the addy.

So I will yell for fly tying :kicking: :kicking: :kicking: :kicking:

What type? I don't know I saw a picture and copied it. If I find a pattern like it I will list it.

I got a handful of them done. I'll be hunting again this afternoon, but I should be back at the vise soon...

They are un-named right now, but I think they look pretty good -

I'm going to try the Tucker Scud with the Potts weave. Should be fun!

The two left feet attached to my wrists won't allow me to do these...so I'm really looking forward to getting one!

"Tucker weave". Okay, I'm curious. I used a weave for years on some patterns and considered using it on this swap. But I'm not familiar with the name "Tucker" weave. I don't know how to weave any way other than what I already do; maybe I'm doing the "Tucker" weave and don't realize it. Can anybody direct me to a good link where I can take a look-see? Sorry, I guess I missed learning of this technique somewhere in my up-bringing. :-)

"Tucker weave". Okay, I'm curious. I used a weave for years on some patterns and considered using it on this swap. But I'm not familiar with the name "Tucker" weave. I don't know how to weave any way other than what I already do; maybe I'm doing the "Tucker" weave and don't realize it. Can anybody direct me to a good link where I can take a look-see? Sorry, I guess I missed learning of this technique somewhere in my up-bringing. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpk_I2ZbIw

the weave used is actually called a potts weave

Thank you! Outstanding link. Very sweet technique; a little simpler weave than I've used. Looks much easier to do, especially on smaller sizes. Can't wait to give it a try and to see the bugs in this swap tied using this.

Thanks for the quick response.

salmonid

Yes, it is the Potts weave used on a scud pattern by Mike Tucker. The youtube video posted by atroutbum2 is the same video that got me interested in trying this. First attempts tonight went okay, but nothing swapworthy yet :lol:

Thank you for that video! I was tying on a single ostrich herl on either side and weaving on both sides of the body. I'll have to try this!