Fly Tying

somebody please fill me in on this "automatic rewind" idea and why it is so great ??? I've only ever used regular bobbins and have never felt disadvantaged... When I get done with a rotary function and take my thread off the bobbin-holder, the .217 seconds it takes me to rewind my thread by hand has not bothered me. What am I missing?

The pitch about tying in a SINGLE polar bear hair or bucktail hair is snake-oil... kind of like the old trick of shooting a sandbag with a rifle, then another one with an arrow and seeing which one "penetrates" more... I can tie on a single hair with a spider web and it will hold just fine.

I am in the same predicament as you on this bobbin issue, JSzymczyk.

Here is an image of me holding my el cheapo Griffin Bobbin in my customary position.

SP-BobbinInHand.png

My thumb is pressed against the end of the spool coordinating with how firmly I pull down on the

thread as I wrap the thread around the hook and whatever materials to determine how tight the wrap

will be.

I hold it so that the thread comes up from the spool on the back side. So when I want more thread

out, all I have to do is flick my thumb to roll out a bit.

Automatic it isn't, and it may be all wrong, but it has worked well for me... so far.

somebody please fill me in on this "automatic rewind" idea and why it is so great ???

Can't tell if JSazymczyk is just being purposely obtuse, but the idea is you never have to rewind your bobbin...ever. This is especially handy if you tie full rotary all the time, such as with a Nor-Vise. If you only tie rotary style occassionally, the advantage is less pronounced.

While the auto rewind feature is convenient, especially with a vise like the Nor-Vise, it has its disadvantages as well. In the Nor-Vise bobbin's case, you have to preload spools, and you must make sure you have enough spools handy to cover all the threads you use. I for example use a lot of different colors and sizes of thread depending on what I'm tying, and I've never liked the idea of having to waste time preloading spools. In the Nor-Vise bobbin's case, I also dislike the length of the bobbin, which has a tendency to get in the way when using my pedestal. The other major contender, the Ekrich bobbin, solves this problem by allowing you to use standard spools of thread. The only real downside that I can see to this bobbin is the price. I like having preloaded bobbins ready to go, and the price of the Ekrich precludes me from having more than one of them. Both these bobbins have their fans, I just prefer the Rite Bobbin which allows you to set the tension once and then forget it. I have grown to dislike the classic wishbone style because I have to adjust the thread tension by either tweaking the bobbin or adding extra loops of thread around the arms on a recurring basis.

YMMV.

HS

I have been using the bobbins from Norm for about 12 years. Once you get used to them, you have a tough time using anything else. However, the issue of winding everything first is not trivial. (I have about 30 spools.) If the Ekich bobbin was available at the time, I not sure I would have made the investment. Although if I total the amount I have spent on the Norland's I would probably have saved some cash and a bunch of time.

My only concern with the Ekich model is the diameter of the tube. The Norland's are are pretty narrow and they work well laying down the thread exactly where you want.

With either bobbin I think you will really love the ability to move up and down on the thread.

Looking forward to seeing some of your results in the swaps.

Frank aka Student4evr

somebody please fill me in on this "automatic rewind" idea and why it is so great ???

Can't tell if JSazymczyk is just being purposely obtuse,

YMMV.

No, I was born that way.

These things just don't fit my style (or my checkbook) just like Crotch-Rocket motorcycles, $100 shoes that don't contain gore-tex, or hats worn as a fashion statement. I tie rotary all the time, but I'm never in a hurry. I don't enjoy cranking out 10 or a hundred of the same pattern at one time. FOR ME, the time and effort saved by automatic rewind would never offset the cost of the bobbin, over the rest of my lifetime. In the end, it's what makes us happy I guess, unless you're buying it on credit and can't afford it.

The ekich is not as good as the nor-bobbin in my opinion, especially considering the price. It's not balanced as well and some spools it takes me awhile to get seated right for it to work properly and it not having a clutch is a drawback as well. I don't mind loading spools with thread and I use a lot of different threads as well.

You have to use one I guess to truly understand it. I have a hard time with regular bobbins now as rewinding thread is foreign to me now. It might take you .273 seconds jz, but it only takes me .01 that's the advantage.... years to my life with all the tying I will do!

I tie rotary all the time, but I'm never in a hurry. I don't enjoy cranking out 10 or a hundred of the same pattern at one time. FOR ME, the time and effort saved by automatic rewind would never offset the cost of the bobbin, over the rest of my lifetime.

i am in the same boat

if you wrap the thread with 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch between the tip of the bobbin holder and the hook shank, it takes a nanosecond to roll the spool

when tying rotary, adjust the bobbin holder rest so that its 1/2 inch away from the hook eye

no wonder you need an automatic bobbin holder with the nor system, the bobbin holder rest is a foot away from the hook eye

The ekich is not as good as the nor-bobbin in my opinion, especially considering the price. It's not balanced as well and some spools it takes me awhile to get seated right for it to work properly and it not having a clutch is a drawback as well. I don't mind loading spools with thread and I use a lot of different threads as well.

You have to use one I guess to truly understand it. I have a hard time with regular bobbins now as rewinding thread is foreign to me now. It might take you .273 seconds jz, but it only takes me .01 that's the advantage.... years to my life with all the tying I will do!

:lol2: if you're saving .263 seconds per rewind, and you average 3 rewinds per fly, it will take you 42,048,000 flies to save a year!!! The good news is after all those flies, the cost of the bobbin will only have been 0.000002237823439878234 cents per fly! :lol2:

Student4ver..I think the diameter is 2mm, I may be wrong. Haven't taken out the calipers. I got the trout standard with stainless steel. It fits my hands perfectly. It has taken away my frustrations, even with the adjustment of a new bobbin. My tube length is 20mm. I have a longer bobbin for the salts. It works very well for what I need.

If I find myself making plenty of large salts then I will see about saving for a new bobbin. What I want, I will work to acheive for as a goal. When I succeed it will be with me always. Even items. I am old school. I buy little, but like quality and then I take care of it.

For example; 30 years ago when I was sowing my oats :drunk: :kicking: :punk: :rockon: like my mother told me 'to do before I get older and people are less forgiving', I had a low overhead and a great job. (some of you may remember those rare and elusive things)

As I was strutting and being cool :rockon: I wanted a good pair of ear phones for my radio and cassette player ( ask your parents). Went into the Sony Store and forked over $80 +tax. Those phones made a $5 radio sound like a $2000 unit. The point you ask? Well I still have them and Yes I still use them. I have not found a pair that are better yet, so it is those I plug in with as I strut, a little older but no less cooler, down the street wearing my mp3 Player. They were packed so many times there should be mini decals for the winder case. :hyst:

This is my way. I am not saying it is better than anyone elses'. It is just that when I succeed then I feel I have the right to do my happy dance. :kicking:

So Frank and others, thank you for not judging my personal decision and taking offense.

My Personal, unsolicted and humble opinion on my ekrich bobbin is that it is a superb and precise finely engineered tool. I do know that it will be with me to the end. One other thing, I have bought finely engineered items at a lower price (rare) and still have those too. I am just that kind of girl.

:lol2: if you're saving .263 seconds per rewind, and you average 3 rewinds per fly, it will take you 42,048,000 flies to save a year!!! The good news is after all those flies, the cost of the bobbin will only have been 0.000002237823439878234 cents per fly! :lol2:

Rofl.... I bet I have 42,046,000 and change to go! I dunno, I watch vids on youtube and I just laugh at people cranking away on their bobbins.... Plain and simple, automatic bobbins are just a convenience for us lazy people I guess. Yes, the bobbin rest is that far away and it's one of the best set ups I think. It keeps it well out of the way and you can make ropes etc... if you want to. Watch youtube and see other people clanking around their rest that sits 2-3" away when they're wrapping materials, hilarity ensues...

Horsehoes,

You made an ok choice in my opinion. Faruk is a stand-up guy though and the product is solid. It does have the advantage of receiving manufacturer spools but I found it kind of bulky and not being balanced you cannot spin it like a nor-bobbin. Also, not having a clutch can bite you in the rear if you're not paying attention. Sometimes it's hard to get spools seated so it works properly (certain manufacturers) which can be a pain but not having to wrap thread around a post for tension is an advantage too, but if it meets your needs that's all that matters. I'm with you, I figure if you're going to spend the $$, then do some research and spend the $$ to get the best thing you can afford or maybe not afford.

I bought one of these 2 years back and it is fun to use, but I don't use it that much. He really needs to add a clutch and balance it better. I end up have to rethread 7 out of 10 flies I tie with it since I forgot to pop the spool, he has a nifty way of popping the spool but has likely developed that while spending so much time at shows giving demos. You guys remember that I love tools, I have about 20 different bobbins and will still reach for a Materelli when I want to get to work and crank out flies or concentrate on making a pretty fly without have to worry about what's going on with my thread tension. Second is a C&F midge bobbin, then the rite bobbin. When tying north country, I prefer the wasatch sized for pearsalls.

Someone earlier on mentioned to keep you bobbin rest 1/2 inch from the hook eye and that is what I do, I tie rotary a lot.

Someone earlier on mentioned to keep you bobbin rest 1/2 inch from the hook eye and that is what I do, I tie rotary a lot.

:hyst: but then it is going to take 1.2 seconds to readjust the bobbin rest every time you change to a different size hook!!! :devil:

:lol: it's all good. Get what you want, but more importantly want what you get, or it will suck.