Fly Tying

holy crap if you can't make a fly float with hackle cdc or something else what makes you think an air bubble will work any better plus with the added weight of the heat shrink tube I'm not so sure it would float anyway

Specific Gravity of THIN WALL CROSS-LINKED POLYOLEFIN in clear is .95 which means it floats without any air bubble. Colored thin wall products weigh more up to a specific gravity of 1.4

Okay you lost me with that one.

THIN WALL CROSS-LINKED POLYOLEFIN is one type of heat shrink and there are many different types. This is the best that I have found so far for fly tying. Sorry for the confusion.

pure, distilled water has a specific gravity of 1.0 so just ASSume creek, pond, and river water does too. Anything with a specific gravity of less than 1.0 is less dense therefore it does not get pulled down through the water by gravity. Again, ASSume this has nothing to do with shape, support, displacement, or a billion other factors. Things with a specific gravity of more than 1.0 "sink" in water. Again, another billion variables because ships made of steel float.

so if you had a solid sphere of DHC's THIN WALL CROSS-LINKED POLYOLEFIN !!!! it should (barely) float in calm pure water. A solid sphere of lead won't. Put a big bubble of air in either one, and the lead one could be made to float while the other will float a lot better.

pure, distilled water has a specific gravity of 1.0 so just ASSume creek, pond, and river water does too. Anything with a specific gravity of less than 1.0 is less dense therefore it does not get pulled down through the water by gravity. Again, ASSume this has nothing to do with shape, support, displacement, or a billion other factors. Things with a specific gravity of more than 1.0 "sink" in water. Again, another billion variables because ships made of steel float.

so if you had a solid sphere of DHC's THIN WALL CROSS-LINKED POLYOLEFIN !!!! it should (barely) float in calm pure water. A solid sphere of lead won't. Put a big bubble of air in either one, and the lead one could be made to float while the other will float a lot better.

Thanks for the explination!! Gotta love physics :yahoo:

Guest Big E

J-You crack me up with your capitalization ;)

I just wish this thread would die.

:ripped:

I think I will stick with my principles of the food I eat, if I can't pronounce then I don't eat it.... I can't pronounce POLYOLEFIN, so I ain't tying with it.

Ummm, no thanks :rolleyes:

But this does remind me of Vince Mariano's description of using porcupine quill for forming extended bodies. I could never imagine a fish mouthing a porcupine quill!

Ummm, no thanks :rolleyes:

But this does remind me of Vince Mariano's description of using porcupine quill for forming extended bodies. I could never imagine a fish mouthing a porcupine quill!

added hooking power :hyst: actually I use quills alot they wark great

holy crap if you can't make a fly float with hackle cdc or something else what makes you think an air bubble will work any better plus with the added weight of the heat shrink tube I'm not so sure it would float anyway

Specific Gravity of THIN WALL CROSS-LINKED POLYOLEFIN in clear is .95 which means it floats without any air bubble. Colored thin wall products weigh more up to a specific gravity of 1.4

What he's saying is their pproduct is significantly lighter than the other leading brands by a total of .45 and idk what units are in use here...

And Bob, agreed!