Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryan Wright

antique Fly Tying Kit

Found this at a garage sale. I thought it was pretty cool. Paid 20 bucks for it.

top of box

post-27408-1286916606_thumb.jpg

Price tag

post-27408-1286916747_thumb.jpg

post-27408-1286916736_thumb.jpg

Vice

post-27408-1286916624_thumb.jpg

post-27408-1286916632_thumb.jpg

post-27408-1286916640_thumb.jpg

Spool and Bobbin (I think)

post-27408-1286916653_thumb.jpg

Contents

post-27408-1286916616_thumb.jpg

post-27408-1286916664_thumb.jpg

post-27408-1286916675_thumb.jpg

post-27408-1286916687_thumb.jpg

post-27408-1286916697_thumb.jpg

post-27408-1286916708_thumb.jpg

post-27408-1286916723_thumb.jpg

Thats an awesome find :yahoo: ...gotta love that high tech vise :headbang:

I am tempted to at least try to tye a fly with it and with only what is in the box however I have no idea how to use the thread with that thing on it.

Guest rich mc

i have one kit given to me by my dads friend. even had something chenille in a cellophane packet. what was better was a small blue booklet on flies and their origin. rich mc

You guys sure know how to make a guy feel OLD.

I remember these kits...some of the luckier kids in my class got these. I had to make my own vice based on how this one works. Would glue 2 popsicle sticks on either side of a third one then take a rubber band to tighten the tips down on the hook...like how this vice tightens down on the hook using the thumb-screw.

The clip on the thread spool was kind of hard to use. You would put on wrap around the arch and then use your pinkie to guide thread out as you wrapped. you had to constantly pull the clip back and forth using your thumb and index. I had to use a wood cloths pin (with the metal spring it them) and several feet of thread cut off a spool...man those days seem like a long time ago...middle school electives class;fly tying...who could imagine i would still be doing it or how many things have been invented/introduced to change how i do it???

My first five was one of these, the kit I had came from Herter's in the late 1970's. The damn vice couldn't hold a hook if its life depended on it. I actually wound up bending the jaws around the hook when tightening the thumbscrew; I guess the jaws were of a metal that was to soft and not rigid enough.

Nice antique to have around for a conversation piece.

Kirk

I am wondering if I should use the materials in the kit or leave it as is? I think I am leaning towards leaving it as intact as I can and not use any material from it and have it set up as a display eventually.

I would save the kit as is. I also have a similar one that takes me back to my first tying years.

I started in the late 50s with the advanced "Cam action" vise! :rolleyes:

IMGP8273.jpg

Man I would have to leave the kit intact thats an awesome find, I need to start going to more yard sales I guess!

The coolest thing about this find was that the garage sale had no fishing gear out. I asked the gal running the garage sale if she had any fishing stuff. She told me to hang on ran inside and brought that out. She said it was her grandfathers and she wasn't sure if she wanted to sale it. She saw how I lighted up and decided to sale it to me. She asked me for a price I said 5 bucks she said how about 10 I said sold.