Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
grimme

improving

I been tying for a couple of yrs now and need some syestem to my tying to improve, some where ive seen a photo of 40 flies that cover every every discipline for tying trout flies? does anyone kmow where?or what the flies are? decided to work my way through them, but im still sure that the most flies catch more anglers than fish and 12 flies will catch 99% of your fish? just dont know which they are yet

Since I have not seen any of your current work, its pretty hard to know what you need to focus on to improve. One way to get better is to post some examples of your flies, and ask for tips and help. There are lots of folks here who will provide constructive advise.

i tell you what every river stream and lake are different so i always try to imatate whats in the water minnows,leeches,baitfish,bugs, it dont matter what they look like as long as the are close to what your trying to imatate i have made some shaby flys and they worked because i was close and presintation was close thats all i can tell you.

The best way for you to improve your techniques is to constantly monitor what you are doing. Make every thread wrap count, learn how/why materials act the way they do and respond in order. I would recommend watching youtube videos, specifically Davie Mcphail, to help learn techniques. Some of these techniques will not come easily, and only after practice will you see results. Get some good introductory tying books, or even just pattern books, and pick a single pattern and tie it until it looks exactly like the photo. Then slowly (keyword) pick more difficult patterns. Sounds boring....and it is...but it really is the best way to improve.

Also post pics of your flies, so you can get comments, recommendations, and critiques from other tyers