Fly Tying
Druce

phentex yarn

just got some green phentex craft yarn at zellers, 2.00$ a piece, this stuff makes great streamers, brushes out in seconds and has a natural sheen to it, made some great perch streamers 2.5"-3" inches in length, anyone ever use this stuff? i may go out and get some other colors.

Druce :rolleyes:

Congratulations, you just found poly yarn, available in most fly shops.

It's not the same as the poly yarn found in fly shops. Much different texture.

I love using the stuff for wings/wing posts and sometimes tailing shucks.

I know a fella that ties an entire fly with that as the only ingredient. Floats like a cork, but isn't really pretty.

I've bought phentex yarn in skeins from Dan Bailey's as poly yarn and it is the same thing that I find in every fly shop as poly yarn I've ever been to which includes most of the western states. Not sure what you've been finding as poly.

As requested, sorry about the poor photo quality, this camera does not do my flies justice in the least bit <_< . Im actually very picky about my flies, they have to be perfect or i throw em in a big box that i leave on my buddies step as a joke every once and a while. One photo is wet and the other is dry. this is a perch imitation, im about to start on some black nose dace/ general bait fish patterns. Its tied using vmc pinhead hook size 4 the streamer is no longer than 2 inches. i used the vmc hooks because they are heavy and it makes this pattern sink like a rock, i like to try and get walleye in the spring so this hook makes it a good fly for getting down where the walleye are.

Step 1: tie in base thread half way up the straight portion of the shank.

step 2: tie in brushed out white phentex or other yarn, one brushed out strand at most, half it if needed. (i found over dressing to be a battle with this fly, didnt know what was to much or to little)

step 3: tie in 2 strands of phentex yarn (light green and brushed out) make it slightly longer than the white.

step 4: tie in black phentex strands as the top of the fish, i just took a permanent marker to the green stuff and tied it in. (to not color it on the fly as it may bleed or look bad, plus its just plane hard)

step 5: marker in the stripes (you can do this later i just love looking at the stripes lol and cant wait)

step 6: take 2 toughs of bright red sparkley dubbing and tie on either side of the head as gills (too much looks bad but the good thing is the dubbing is easy to pull out for on site modifications on the river, you can even remove all the red if you think its turning off the fish)

step 7: take some goop or super glue and place on stick on eyes.

And their it be the perch fly thing... i think i will call it the wet sock perch. :headbang:

post-28597-1292546061_thumb.jpg

post-28597-1292546076_thumb.jpg

Does look rather 'perchy' very good use of materials here, i guess you could tie it 'polar fiber minnow' style too, all up ties. Nice! I guess if you are unsure of how much material is too little or too much, grab what you think is the right amount then half it.

thanks FlyFishin'Jam :) ! I just picked up some icelandic sheeps fur in orange today from a new shop that opened up here in ottawa, might throw it in the pattern as the belly as well as the white thats already there, the guy at the shop was going on about orange and how much he loved just adding a bit to every pattern. Also was thinking id throw in some softened yellow bucktail just under the green to make that green yellow transition thats on most perch, although most perch im my region dont seem to really develop that yellow until they are of considerable size most in the 2-5 inch rang have green and silver with just a bit of orange on the end of the fins. im wondering if the sheeps fur should extend the entire length of the fly or just stop after the "chin".

Druce :coffee:

good flies druce. I went to my local michaels and guess what.. I found some too. It was $2.50 and now I am sitting in front of the vise and ready to roll

I've bought phentex yarn in skeins from Dan Bailey's as poly yarn and it is the same thing that I find in every fly shop as poly yarn I've ever been to which includes most of the western states. Not sure what you've been finding as poly.

The poly I get from fly shops is always rather soft and fine and rather straight fibers. The Phentex is large and coarse and kinky fibers, almost like calf tail/snowshoe rabbit foot fur. Fibers are probably 4x thicker than standard poly. I think we're talking about different Phentex products. I use the stuff made specifically for making slippers (according to the label). I know there are other types of Phentex that has different textures, much more like regular poly.

http://www.sewknit.ca/Phentex%20HTM's/...1.craftyarn.htm

Awesome mr. vegas! Glad i could lead you to new ideas, that makes me really happy to hear :D. make sure to post some pics of what you come up with, i think if i get new batteries for my good camera i will do a step by step with the icelandic sheep wool included as well "the icelandic wet sock". Im in the process of doing a shad pattern but im not sure what im going to use, i have white phentex....thats it so far lol.

oh trust me I will! Thanks again for the tip! I also got some yarn that has mostly black with speckles of red and blue in it that got me thinking of a ton of patterns

maybe we might have to do a fly swap with each other! :cheers:

green and silver with just a bit of orange on the end of the fins. im wondering if the sheeps fur should extend the entire length of the fly or just stop after the "chin".

Just looking at some pictures of the perch around 1000 islands i have caught, they do have a fair bit of green and yellow, the orange fins do pop, mostly the pectoral fins near the head, the anal fin too, you could make the entire belly orange. Have seen this in rapala perch lures, just looking at my fly box i don't have anything representing a perch when i really should. Must get either some green and yellow markers, or fibers! I think mr bass would chew this! Speaking of rapala, i also want to do a firetiger design type minnow fly for summer. Yes the ideas do flow on this website B)