Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rodd Gunn

Tying biot bodies

Hi folks: I have a question on tying turkey biot bodies. Which wing do you use to get the "raised" rib effect created by the biot? Or, doesn't it matter? The reason I ask this question is because I just purchased a few packs and it seems that all the strips are right wing. I thought I should have gotten an equal number in each pack from each wing (R and L). thanks for any help you can offer. Rodd Gunn

Hi folks: I have a question on tying turkey biot bodies. Which wing do you use to get the "raised" rib effect created by the biot? Or, doesn't it matter? The reason I ask this question is because I just purchased a few packs and it seems that all the strips are right wing. I thought I should have gotten an equal number in each pack from each wing (R and L). thanks for any help you can offer. Rodd Gunn

If you pull the biot off the quill, you will see a notch in the biot. If you tie the biot in with the notch facing upwards, you will get the ribbed effect you are looking for. If you tie it in with the notch facing down, you will get a smooth body used on several spinner patterns. There is a video on YouTube that explains how to tie in a turkey biot if you need a visual. I had to watch it a few times for it to sink in. I'm not real sure about right or left wings. I don't know if it matters or not.

Thanks for the information folks. I am currently working on some biot body nymphs using both the right and left wing biots. It seems that the left wings works the best. Of course, out of 12 biots I got one left wing. Thanks again. Rodd

i'm not sure if the right or left wing biots work the best. the bird is symmetrical after all!

Unfortunately, the reference to "symmetry' does not carry much weight in this application, and I won't bore you by elaborating.

The real issue here is whether or not any possible such differences make any 'real' difference in the flies we tie using them? My response to such a question is: NO! It must be remembered that the fish don't read our pattern books, and they aren't THAT discriminatory; even if the DO read our books!

To any with such concerns, I would simply say that with time and experience, I have learned to not be concerned about such matters. The time is better spent tying flies and fishing!

perchjerker