Fly Tying
Jackpott

Pushing, vibrating,popping and movng water with flies.....

Robert, good point and that is possible. However, just like the size of a bb and size of chamber effect the cadence or frequency, I would think the water would do the same. Where in a dry air environment capsule submerged, the click would be click, click, click. Beads traveling through water might be more like click ----- click ------ click. Just guessing. I'm sure someone studied this and wrote a book on it.

Kirk

You guys are great! thanks to all! Im going to give all of these some serious thought, some brilliant ideas here.

Tried spinning with EP fibre before...was ugly...can anyone give me some suggestions?

This is most likely NOT the "approved" methd for spinning with EP fiber but it works for me....... also I am not a big fan of EP fiber for the price point reason.... I prefer congo hair.

Simply make a ubbing loop, fill it with Ep fiber cut to a little longer than desidred length (so it can be trimmed) then after spinning the loop make sure to pick it out really well. Spin the loop onto the hook keeping the wraps as close together as possible, then pack with a hair stacker. Thus far I have had very good success with this method and because all my friends call me the dubbing loop king (a crown I wear proudly) it's rather simple and quick for me to accomplish.

The amout of material you put in the loop is important.... not enough and you get a veil... as of yet I'm not too sure you can put too much into the loop as long as it will twist wthout breaking the thread (UTC 210 or 280 denier is what I use, with favor to the 280). The packing at the end is important to make sure that it's all as tight as possible, if need be you can always add in another small loop to finish filling the hook shank. If you have any more questions feel free to ask as I am always willing to throw out my ideas and thoughts.

Steve

You guys are great! thanks to all! Im going to give all of these some serious thought, some brilliant ideas here.

Tried spinning with EP fibre before...was ugly...can anyone give me some suggestions?

This is most likely NOT the "approved" methd for spinning with EP fiber but it works for me....... also I am not a big fan of EP fiber for the price point reason.... I prefer congo hair.

Simply make a ubbing loop, fill it with Ep fiber cut to a little longer than desidred length (so it can be trimmed) then after spinning the loop make sure to pick it out really well. Spin the loop onto the hook keeping the wraps as close together as possible, then pack with a hair stacker. Thus far I have had very good success with this method and because all my friends call me the dubbing loop king (a crown I wear proudly) it's rather simple and quick for me to accomplish.

The amout of material you put in the loop is important.... not enough and you get a veil... as of yet I'm not too sure you can put too much into the loop as long as it will twist wthout breaking the thread (UTC 210 or 280 denier is what I use, with favor to the 280). The packing at the end is important to make sure that it's all as tight as possible, if need be you can always add in another small loop to finish filling the hook shank. If you have any more questions feel free to ask as I am always willing to throw out my ideas and thoughts.

Steve

I use a very similar technique with Widow's Web and a dubbing loop to form large heads for moving water. I've found Window's Web to be just stiff enough to hold it's shape while being stripped, jerked, etc.

Jackpott, sounds like you thought it out with the heavy bead up front to make it have a pronounced jigging action. I guess I mispoke in saying I doubt it would click, I just think the click can not be as pronounced as in a dry air enviornment. Although I could be wrong. Its just that I do know water slows down objects traveling through it.

I would like to see some pictures of these big catfish you are catching. That must be a blast.

Kirk

Hey man

No i really appreciate the advise, you made me think hard and long about the bead/clicker patterns and i think i have it all figured out.

1. As aforementioned you need one heavy tungsten bead, preferrably a cone and another smaller/lighter bead made preferrably of a lighter metal like copper or so....

2. You need to use light wire hooks and sparse flies to enhance jigging and see-sawing action of fly as beads slide up and down, as there is less resistance in water.

3. The pattern must be tied as far back as possible on the hook to A. increase the distance the bead swings for greater clicking/thumping vibration and B. For more leverage-as the bead slides up and down the hook shank it has a greater lever arm and thus greater impact on jigging motion of fly.

4. Flies must be fished suspended behind a more bouyant pattern, or more appropriately a popper of sorts, so that fly travels more in an up and down motion when stripped and thus jigging more.

5. Flies must be fished on a floating line to enhance up and down motion and light leader, so that the least amount of motion is impaired and finally one can add a piece of split shot, or better yet a free sliding bead on the leader to once again eccentuate the jigging of the fly.

6. The fly must be stripped in sharp, jerky, short strips so that as the tungsten bead plummets the fly downwards, it is yanked upwards again through the water colum where the tungsten bead will be forced back against the other smaller/lighter bead.

Im pretty certain, that these flies will click using the aforementioned techniques or all of them at once. As Robert M pointed out sound travels much better underwater and if one clicks the fly by shaking it backward and forward you can feel a noticeable 'thumping' vibration that comes through the pattern when the beads click (especially with the big patterns and beads im using), so even if inaudible underwater, im certain that fish species can pick up the 'thump' of the beads with their lateral line.

thanks for spurring the investigation! :)

Steve

Steve your a champion, thankyou! You wouldn't believe it but altough i consider myself a pretty masterful flytier i have NEVER used a dubbing loop.... :blink:

Could you perhaps ellaborate on how to tie one up?

Many thanks!

Awesome pattern! Thanks for sharing!

Thank Nick Granato not me I want to see a tutorial on his chupacabra fly!

Here is tutorial that will give you a fly that really pushes water. It can be adapted to all kinds of bait fish flies.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=49059

my word thats an icredible pattern....

awesome brushes can be made with craft fur too.... *starts to ponder*

thanks man, going to tie up some killer patterns with ideas from this....

Pretty much exactly like this pattern (previously posted on this thread...)Chubby Muffin only no wire I just use the thread I already have tied in. You know it's a bit funny to get a compliment here, thanks for that. I like dubbing loops I use them for all kinds of flies in all different applications they cover space quickly and can add dimension that is dificult to achieve otherwise. Again thanks for the compliment.

Steve

Pretty much exactly like this pattern (previously posted on this thread...)Chubby Muffin only no wire I just use the thread I already have tied in. You know it's a bit funny to get a compliment here, thanks for that. I like dubbing loops I use them for all kinds of flies in all different applications they cover space quickly and can add dimension that is dificult to achieve otherwise. Again thanks for the compliment.

Steve

;)

So you form a loop in the thread, place the material inside it (laying the thread on a flat surface im guessing so that it doesnt fall out) and then twist it to form a brush???

Awesome!

I'm finally home for a bit I'll see if I can take a few pics of how i do it tonight and post them for ya on here... hopefully

Steve

I'm finally home for a bit I'll see if I can take a few pics of how i do it tonight and post them for ya on here... hopefully

Steve

Thanks steve! ;)