Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Parker

A dragonfly wing

Hi guys I've got a wing for a dragonfly I think???

Please be very critical, it will help me to get where I want to go with this!!!!

You guys have all been a big help to me growing in this field of flytying!!

Blessings,

Jeremy

post-24634-1298502102_thumb.jpg

post-24634-1298502322_thumb.jpg

Very creative approximations of a dragon's wing. And I'm guessing your technique is a real time saver as well?

I'm very sorry rockworm i don't understand your comment???

Blessings,

Jeremy

:rolleyes: Sorry Jeremy, I'm afraid those just won't do. You'll just have to send them to me for proper disposal.... :whistle:

I like the wings Jeremy!!

You should also try with leaves almost transparent to the ribs, instead of tulle.

Greetings!!!!

Sergio

First off, let me state that I like the overall look of the wings. However, you did ask us to be very critical. So I said your wings were approximations for several reasons:

First, the way you have assembled your veinlets creates cells which are uniform in size and shape. The cells in a dragonfly's wing vary widely in size from very small at the trailing edge to fairly large at the leading edge.

Secondly, the cells in your wing are all very regular and hexagonal in shape. In nature, most of the cells are either 4- or 5-sided, and none are especially regular or symmetrical.

Third, your cells create a more-or-less uniform field covering the wing over which the major veins are placed. In a real wing, the cells develop between the major veins and are defined by them. (By which I mean that a major vein will contribute one side to any cell touching it.)

Last, if you look at a dragonfly's wing you will see that there is a structure to the smaller veinlets so that you can distinguish files of cells running parallel to one another.

Well, you asked me to explain- I hope it helps. In no way mean do I mean to diminish the effort you put into these small works of art. I look forward to seeing more of you creations.

I like the wings Jeremy!!

You should also try with leaves almost transparent to the ribs, instead of tulle.

Greetings!!!!

Sergio

You are talking about varnish?? thanks!

First off, let me state that I like the overall look of the wings. However, you did ask us to be very critical. So I said your wings were approximations for several reasons:

First, the way you have assembled your veinlets creates cells which are uniform in size and shape. The cells in a dragonfly's wing vary widely in size from very small at the trailing edge to fairly large at the leading edge.

Secondly, the cells in your wing are all very regular and hexagonal in shape. In nature, most of the cells are either 4- or 5-sided, and none are especially regular or symmetrical.

Third, your cells create a more-or-less uniform field covering the wing over which the major veins are placed. In a real wing, the cells develop between the major veins and are defined by them. (By which I mean that a major vein will contribute one side to any cell touching it.)

Last, if you look at a dragonfly's wing you will see that there is a structure to the smaller veinlets so that you can distinguish files of cells running parallel to one another.

Well, you asked me to explain- I hope it helps. In no way mean do I mean to diminish the effort you put into these small works of art. I look forward to seeing more of you creations.

Wow!! Thank You! Very thought out comment!!

Very constructive and well received. I have recorded all these thoughts and an working on a new wing with this in my mind.

These are the comments and thoughts that will help me grow!!!

Blessings,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

A great set of wings........and I know that you have taken hours to get to this level. I have to agree with rockworms comments..................your smaller vein structure is very honeycombed in appearance. Take a closer look at a natural and im sure your next efforts will be one notch higher.

You have done remarkably well in your pursuit in the field of realistics.

All the best

Mike

Hi Jeremy

A great set of wings........and I know that you have taken hours to get to this level. I have to agree with rockworms comments..................your smaller vein structure is very honeycombed in appearance. Take a closer look at a natural and im sure your next efforts will be one notch higher.

You have done remarkably well in your pursuit in the field of realistics.

All the best

Mike

Thanks Mike ! All your comments mean so much to me! It keeps me inspired!

You bet, there is another set of wings will be started tomorrow !

Not sure how long they will take ??

Don't care want the best result i can get!!

Then I guess I should try tying the rest of the dragonfly :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Blessings,

Jeremy

Agree with everybody else, those wings are pretty darn sweet. How long does a pair take you?

I have one wing thats I've been working on for about 15hrs so far not sure how long wings will take yet??

Still have not got one(that I totally like yet) thats gone onto a dragonfly yet??

Blessing,

jeremy

Good Day,

Did someone mention leaves? ;-)

post-295-1299344857_thumb.jpg

post-295-1299344873_thumb.jpg

You can determine for yourself if it is cheating or a creative use of an existing material! ;-) (I will go with creative use...) Also, it depends on how large of a dragon fly you are tying. And... there clearly is a flat side and a round side to these leaves as well. Many craft shops like Hobby Lobby or Micheal's may carry them.

Another tactic is something I have used pretty well. Make the best quality print of a set of wings your computer/printer will allow. Stick some clear Scotch tape over (taping down each end) the printout sticky side up. It will look like a capital "I" laying on its side. then carefully "trace" over the large to mid sized veins with various fibers like micro fibbets, smooth straight animal hairs, I have even used a thin flexible broom bristle... Then, VERY CAREFULLY apply another piece of the clear Scotch tape over your work. So sticky side to sticky side. You want to this slowly so as not to get any bubles which would ruin all your effort. I use a brayer. I slowly roll the brayer over the wing as I apply the second piece of tape to prevent bubbles. Then draw in the minor veins with something like a Micron 005 pen. Practice a few times before going all in! I don't have a more recent photo... (first time I used this technique) but it should give you an idea...

post-295-1299347283_thumb.jpg

post-295-1299347298_thumb.jpg

Steelie