Fly Tying

Can anyone help me out...never tied poppers but would like to try some for bass or gills this year... how do I go about this.

Can anyone help me out...never tied poppers but would like to try some for bass or gills this year... how do I go about this.

What kind of poppers are you thinking about?

foam, cork. wood, deerhair preshaped heads?

I think most everyone would be willing to give you ideas but give us a bit more info so we can help you.

Here are a couple of links that might help they are from a co-sponsored swap I did with Richard Carter in Australia many years ago.

http://www.fishnet.com.au/flyswap/flybox/funfoanpopper.html

http://www.fishnet.com.au/flyswap/flybox/m...alsapopper.html

http://www.fishnet.com.au/flyswap/flybox/w...agonpopper.html

Also check the Tutorials and patterns on this site.

Probably the easiest way is to get those little foam popper bodies, some super glue, and go nuts with permanent markers. I think there is an article about it in the latest issue of Fly Tyer.

not sure which kind, never knew much about them...just that they look cool lol. I'll defiantly do my research a little more with this info. thanks!

Do some research and see what you want to tie. A few of us here tie a lot of them and I know I would be willing to assist you. You have to first decide what you want to do, what you will be going for and what materials you will need. Money wise, you might want to get a package of the Wapsi popper bodies with hooks. You get 10 bodies and ten hooks for less than five bucks. You will need to seal the bodies both before and after the paint. I use the Delta Ceramcoat products for both the sealers and paint. Let me know what else I can do for you.

What about doing a search here on FTF? Type in Poppers in the search box and you'll get like ten pages of posts about poppers right here on FTF from foam to balsa to wine corks to pencil poppers. Believe me, if it has anything to do with poppers, the popper nuts on this board have already contributed everything they know. Not only materials but methods, paints, finishes, glueing, curing, tying tails and even recently hackling them.

I really not trying to be aloof here but every/anything you want to know about poppers has been posted.

Kirk

i would be targeting bluegill and bass...I may start out with a kit and see how I like it and go from there...I don't have any fly shops around me...do Cabelas carry stuff I could get? I'm close to one of them...

Cabela's should have some material for tying poppers.

You may want to look and see if they have any Rainy's products they make tons of foam for poppers.

http://www.rainysflies.com/foamproducts.php

If you can find some of their float foam ( about half way down the page above) in a color you like you can crank out dozens of poppers from a single piece.

Just cut a short section to length of the body you prefer. Typically I use the medium or large size and cut the body length equal to the diameter of the foam.

Looking at the round flat face I take a bodkin and push it through the foam from end to end at about 1/3 the diameter and centered in the flat face. this should go through the foam from one flat face to the other.

I push the hook eye and shank through the hole made by the bodkin and slide the foam part way down the bend I then add a little superglue to the shank behind the eye area about 2-3 eye widths back and slide the foam back on to it to secure it.

The foam should be just touching the back of the eye.

You then can secure your thread behind the foam body and tie in whatever tail suites your fancy. If you want rubber legs push a needle or bodkin through the fly side to side and pull a strand or two of rubber through the body and clip to length. Decorate the popper body with permanent ink markers or nail polish for some added color.

This is a very simple and effective popper especially for panfish/bream it is easy to tie and it doesn't bother me when I loose them to trees and rocks and such. Besides once you have made a couple of these you can crank them out at high speed.

I use the Wapsi Perfect Popper bodies for most of mine. They are very easy to work with. Depending on where you buy them, some of the packages come with kink-shank hooks and some don't. I have ordered them and had hooks not included, bought them at te fly shop and have them included. The kink shank hooks help a lot.

Good to know, I should be heading to Cabelas in a day or two to pick up my new vise, I ordered it last week...I will take a looksy at what they have for popper kits and go from there. I'll post some pics after tying a batch up! What size is recommended for bluegill or bass?

Good to know, I should be heading to Cabelas in a day or two to pick up my new vise, I ordered it last week...I will take a looksy at what they have for popper kits and go from there. I'll post some pics after tying a batch up! What size is recommended for bluegill or bass?

polar pm your e-mail and I can send u some pics of the ones I've made.

Bluegill size 12 to 4

Bass size 12 to 4/0 you can go bigger and smaller depending on what the fish in your area want.

6 through 10 work real well for both most of the time in my area.

So...new vise, and lots of ideas...let's see em...what did you come up with.

I found an article about painting them below:

http://www.flytyer.com/index.php?option=co...49&Itemid=0

I got me a Renzetti Traveler pedestal mount...so far I love it. Spent nearly 7 hours tying yesterday with a buddy...let him use my old one and I tried teaching him some of the basics. I love the rotary feature. As far as poppers, I picked some bodies up from Cabelas yesterday. Size 10 and size 2. I got one in the vise drying right now. I'll post pictures later on today after I have a few done and after they are all dry. So far I like them though...pretty fun and a little bit different. They are just the Wapsi foam bodies...is it really just that simple to mount them on the hook: just put glue down then slide them over? Hope so, because thats all I did. Thanks for all the help everyone!