Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
clemmy

Hends Tungsten Wire source?

I know tungsten wire can be problematic, but I had a fly idea I'm working on. I know Roman Moser has some, and I know of the larva lace impregnated. I know one can order up some from Small Parts, but then you need to mess with tempers, etc. I saw in my research that Hends offers 2 sizes of spooled tungsten wire, but I have been unable to come up with a supplier for it. I'd like to compare it's qualities to the Moser product to see which would be better suited to my fly.

Cheers!

Clemmy

Tungsten wire is used in an attempt to add more weight without more bulk, as it is denser than normal wire and lead. People have been frustrated by it somewhat, as it tends to be very springy and somewhat brittle.

I have looked at US suppliers that carry Hends products, but none have their tungsten wire listed, perhaps as it's not in demand like in Europe for the nymphs...

Clemmy

I have some experience working with tungsten wire -not for fly tying- but "industrial"...

Why why WHY would anyone want to screw around with it for flies? It's a royal pain in the a$$. Very brittle when mostly pure, springy in most alloys, hard to cut, hard period, expensive, and generally unpleasant. Alloyed into workable compounds, the mass isn't a whole lot more than lead or tin-bismuth.

In the real world, there can hardly be many angling situations where the benefits (what benefits?) outweigh ( :hyst: ) the problems.

Try using tungsten powder mixed in epoxy for additional weight. Check with a golf club maker or Google it on the Internet. It is a very fine powder used to weight the heads of golf clubs.

The epoxy can be coated on the hook as a simple coating or it can be formed into a body shape.

iaflyfisher

are any of these alternatives "heavier" than just using lead? I know evil, horrible, environmentally devastating, (but naturally occurring) lead is outlawed in a few places, but are tungsten-powder-epoxy and tungsten-powder-plastic going to achieve the results of real tungsten?