Fly Tying
Graham

How to tie a Yellow Stone Fly

How to tie a stonefly

This is my first attempt at taking photos and putting together visual instructions for tying a trout fly. I used the lighting from my tying lamp and I left the camera in place, which was in my way, resulting in a less than perfect fly and photographs that are washed out looking. To make sure it wasn’t a waste of time, I’m posting the photos anyway.

This is what I want to try and copy, a Golden Stonefly:

user posted image

Step 1: Attach yellow thread and spiral wrap the hook back to where the tails start. Put a small area of yellow dubbing where the tails attach, to help flare them out, tie on both tails (2 yellow elk hairs softex glued to 2 black elk hairs). Tie on some fine gold wire and a piece of 10ml clear plastic (1/8’ x 3”) colored yellow with brown on one edge (using Pantone markers).

user posted image

Step 2: Yellow dubbing creates the shape of the abdomen

user posted image

Step 3: Wrap the plastic over the dubbing then wrap the gold wire forward along the edges of the plastic.

user posted image

Step 4: Tie on a piece of plastic (1/4” x 3) (yellow with brown edges) on top of the hook.

user posted image

Step 5: Guinea feather fibers, pre-softexed together, will be tied on, after a little bit of yellow dubbing is applied.

user posted image

Step 6: More yellow dubbing is applied over the leg tie in points on the thorax.

user posted image

Step 7: Using a bodkin to keep tension on the plastic as it is tied down.

user posted image

Step 8: Keep working forward and attach all six legs and folding the plastic over for each set of legs.

user posted image

Step 9: As you can see, the amount of light from the tying lamp was too bright. Anyway, attach two antennae (thick moose main hairs) and two eyes (glass beads with melted mono) tied on over the top of the plastic.

user posted image

Step 10: Apply dubbing in a figure 8 pattern around the eyes then pull the plastic over the top, pull to the rear and tie don behind the head.

user posted image

A view from beneath

user posted image

Step 11: Bend the legs to simulate joints. Use fine needle nose, with the tips held over a Bic-lighter-flame for about two seconds, to heat kink the legs.

user posted image

Step 12: Using markers add a markings as desired.

user posted image

If I was a fish I’d swim over and taste one of these morsels.

These are some of the pieces I make before starting to tie this fly:

user posted image

This is pretty cool. I'd like to get more involved with the realistic tying. This is the first instruction I've seen for tying these types of realistics. Good job, the photos look fine, I had no problem discerning the steps.

Also love the tip on crimping the legs.

Very nice Graham cool.gif

the pics arent bad at all ethier, and sweet looking yellow stone, using plastic such as that always gives me problems but i love the effect it gives the wing case. This just makes me want to try it again cool.gif

SD

Thanks guys.

Will, with a little practice they are not real hard to tie. They are more time consuming to tie than most stone fly imitations, but the trout in the Sierra have seen most imitations and these are my secret killer flies for these tough to fool trout. The flies below work great for larger Sierra trout especially the East Walker river.

user posted image

They are kinda fun to experiment with, different sizes, colors, bead heads etc.

Tie it you'll like it.

WOW! Awsome step by step. I have to try this when I get my tying stuff back from storage.

Thanks Graham!!!

Chucky

Thanks again for the kind remarks!!!

Hey Chucky (fly-guy), I hope you do get your stuff out of storage and tie a few. I had kind of got burned out tying flies a few years ago and it was this forum that renewed my passion. It feels good to tie again.

Graham

Great question, There used to be a product available called Flexibody but this is no longer on the market. Buy the plastic used for oil change stickers that self adhere to windshields. Too bad Flexibody is not available, they used to die the plastic in various colors. The plastic was also on top of card stock which made cutting it much easier.

Search around on the 3M web site to find it in bulk. There are companies that sell the stickers printed with your message, just ask for blanks. A google search brought up this company in Canada that sell "static cling oil stickers".

http://www.ecptime.on.ca/automotive_formso...gestickers.html

Graham