Fly Tying
TheCream

Slider I finished up last night

I have my popper box pretty well-stocked, but last time on the water I noticed my slider box had very few green or darker colored flies. I did two in this color (pale metallic green/black) and also in a dark metallic green/yellow.

DSC_0532.jpg

DSC_0525.jpg

Very nice looking tie.

How is the weed guard secured to the hook eye?

Sort of tough to explain, but it's both tied and sealed with head cement. I have done them this way for a few years with 25lb test junk mono from WalMart, and I've yet to have one slip. Re-attach the thread at the hook eye after finishing the back of the fly, feed the tag end of mono up through the eye, fold it back a little and put 6 very tight wraps behind the hook eye pinching the mono, then trim, whip finish, and seal in head cement. When I put in the 6 tight wraps, I hold the mono in place and use the tip of my index finger on my right (bobbin) hand to force the thread wraps behind the hook eye, and this pinches that heavy mono in place. When I cement the wraps, I usually put it on fairly thick.

I've never been able to completely fold that heavy mono back over after running it through the hook eye (especially with the light thread I prefer to use), but like I said, pinching them this way I am yet to see one pull free. The olive Ultra Thread almost perfectly matches the pale metallic green paint on this one.

Very nice looking tie.

How is the weed guard secured to the hook eye?

Sort of tough to explain, but it's both tied and sealed with head cement. I have done them this way for a few years with 25lb test junk mono from WalMart, and I've yet to have one slip. Re-attach the thread at the hook eye after finishing the back of the fly, feed the tag end of mono up through the eye, fold it back a little and put 6 very tight wraps behind the hook eye pinching the mono, then trim, whip finish, and seal in head cement. When I put in the 6 tight wraps, I hold the mono in place and use the tip of my index finger on my right (bobbin) hand to force the thread wraps behind the hook eye, and this pinches that heavy mono in place. When I cement the wraps, I usually put it on fairly thick.

I've never been able to completely fold that heavy mono back over after running it through the hook eye (especially with the light thread I prefer to use), but like I said, pinching them this way I am yet to see one pull free. The olive Ultra Thread almost perfectly matches the pale metallic green paint on this one.

Thanks for the explanation. It may help me with my own. The thread is less visible than I've been able to get away with.

I use the 70 den. Ultra Thread (not the GSP Ultra Thread) for a lot of my tying unless I need something stronger to secure foam or spin deer hair. If you use only a few wraps, it adds virtually no bulk. I love that stuff!

Great looking slider! Excellent paint job and finish.

I've done my weed-guards in a similar fashion for awhile, with one difference. I take an initially couple wraps, tight enough to hold things in place, then adjust the guard upward enough to take a match and burn a small ball on the mono without harming the rest of the fly, you want this to be a bit "short" on the mono initially, then you pull it back down to the finished position, whip and glue. Adds a touch of insurance to the guard pulling out - not that I've ever had one come loose :)

Best-

Bob V