Fly Tying

Fly fishing is full of opinoins dry vs nymphs, fiberglass vs graphite and I'm not gonna even mention the 'boo guys. I was just stateing my opinion. I dont fish big lakes. I stay on medium to large rivers. I dont need to make alotta comotion to attract fish. The fish can hear the splash down and the push from the fly. I do agree with flouro, 80 pound is what i use. Wire sucks it kinks and coils. The only fish I had come close to making it through the flouro was a 3ft pike. There was a about 5 heathly knicks in it.

I did tye up some "sponge bob square heads" a Brad Bohen creation. For some top water action there about a foot long.

DSC05489.jpg

Love the spongebob square heads. Mr. Bohen is like a living legend in my eye haha. I was emailing him back and forth for a while and he hooked me up with alot of line tips and just helped me get my stuff together for this fish. I plan on getting up to his camp this summer and floating the river with him for a day or two. There will be a price tag of course but I'm sure it'll be worth it. I've got to find a buddy who can ditch life for about 2 weeks too and camp up there in WI with me. I'm gonna float the river for as many days as possible but I don't wanna do it alone.

Me and the circle of guys I fish with have got close to 30 muskys on the fly. I would venture to say have had 50+ hit. I've chatted with Brad several times on facebook about tackle and general tactics. Alot of guys talk a good game when it comes to musky on the fly & have no clue. But with Bohen you can take his word as gospel. Like he said 99% of the muskys are caught by 1% of the fisherman! Heres a pic of my 1st 40+ inch tiger taken on the fly.

musky2a.jpg

Wow, the color on that fish is awesome. Never caught a tiger, but would love to. There's a few where I fish, but never came across one.

Tigers in my opinion are alittle more agreesive than pure breeds. I caught 1 that was about 2ft and it was the prettiest fish I've seen. It had bright silver sides and dark green bars.

1307719437[/url]' post='470495']

i am doing some muskie fishing this weekend...

8wt for floating line and a 10 for sinks

there is a mix of fly styles, i probably have closer shots if anything looks interesting

e01f6002.jpg

I really like your color combinations..... I've been throwing similar flies up to 12" but need the 10wgt to handle them... Nice work

i am doing some muskie fishing this weekend...

8wt for floating line and a 10 for sinks

there is a mix of fly styles, i probably have closer shots if anything looks interesting

e01f6002.jpg

That last post reminds me...These are nice looking too. You should do a step by step sometime too.

I like both your guys flies.

1324608286[/url]' post='486905']

Me and the circle of guys I fish with have got close to 30 muskys on the fly. I would venture to say have had 50+ hit. I've chatted with Brad several times on facebook about tackle and general tactics. Alot of guys talk a good game when it comes to musky on the fly & have no clue. But with Bohen you can take his word as gospel. Like he said 99% of the muskys are caught by 1% of the fisherman! Heres a pic of my 1st 40+ inch tiger taken on the fly.

musky2a.jpg

Are you sure that's not a gator?

That tiger hit right at the bank with 3ft of line out. It was pitch black. Throwing big tandem streamers in the pitch black isnt that big if ya dont think about what your doin (or the fly on the end of your leader). They set themselves up parallel to the bank for the strike. They might strike 2 or 3 times but they will get it. I believe the sound of the line strippin outta water attracts them to the bank.

JUST STOP IT!! You guys are overcharging my batteries.

I got the fly rod musky itch this fall and did some reading and local research which revealed a thriving fishery -- mianly rivers -- within an hour or so drive. I found a guide who specializes in the species too and have made plans for a spring trial run. I have two 9 weights set up and soon will scare some of the local bass with big patterns I am tying in some casting practice sessions if the weather breaks.

Any tips on tippet materials, knots would be much appreciated.

Rocco

Rocco- This video is pretty good. He tells you what material to use and how to tie it all up. A good resource for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=466P-Uyorm0

Earlier I asked about knots and tippets and got back a link to the Hayward shop video. Excellent info and well-demonstrated, but there was no knot shown for the 60 lb fluorocarbon terminal tie to the fly itself. Which knot do you use to give maximum strength and range of movement to the big streamers used?

Thanks again,

Rocco

Earlier I asked about knots and tippets and got back a link to the Hayward shop video. Excellent info and well-demonstrated, but there was no knot shown for the 60 lb fluorocarbon terminal tie to the fly itself. Which knot do you use to give maximum strength and range of movement to the big streamers used?

Thanks again,

Rocco

jam knot...overhand knot in standing portion (leave open), line through eye, 2nd overhand knot tighten up, go through first overhand knot and tighten

A New Years update for those who care.

I brought in the new year by making a bit of a drive to the closest steelhead stream in my area. There was 30mph winds, snow and rain mix that was drowning my hopes of hooking a fish. After finding a dead fish on the bank that some asshole had left hooked to a stringer that was tied to a tree I decided to call it a day. I took some pics of the fish and went to send it to my buddy when I saw a message from my muskie partner back home. He also decided to bring in the new year by taking the boat out on the water and casting for some muskie and ended up getting one in the boat. A new years muskie for sure! I'm pretty sure that was probably the first muskie caught in the world to bring in the new year. Congrats DB