Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

foam bodies

Has anyone had this problem? I use me Dremel to form foam bodies. I have a finish nail with the head cut off. I super glue the foam to the nail. Then my foam flies off. This is a first for me. It happened 3 times with 3 different pieces. What seams to be the problem?

Kevin

Do you sand them? If so do you work towards the dremel? because if you dont you might be pressing it towards so it flies off. I suggest using a small screw, but i know Kirk uses a needle that is like a triangle point that holds the cork, foam, or balsa well.

I made a sanding pad. I glued some sand paper to a peice of 3/4 stock. The problem is as soon as hit the switch its gone.

I have made these before but for some reason there comming off now.

Kevin

Do you have a new dremel? what about the rpm's of your dremel? It might be way to fast for it to stay on the nail.

I have made some of these, using a large sewing needle in the dremel (round, not three sided, although I got some of those for the next time I try this). I push the foam onto the spinning needle till it spins on its own. Then sand it, and it hasn'nt needed superglue to hold it on. Could you be pushing too hard on the sandpaper and dragging the body off? I agree with NJ that you don't want to push away from the dremel. Push straight in or towards the dremel.

I have a finish nail with the head cut off.

Wouldn't the simple solution be to not cut the head off the nail? You are taking the nail out when you are done...right? I can't figure out why you need the head cut off, and it just seems to be causing the problem.

I will try a different foam. I got a good deal on this and could make a ton of flies. Its comming off before it gets sanded.

Kevin

Sounds like to many RPMs like NJ suggested. I have a dremel that has six speeds and I usually find the second or third slowest is the best speed and a light touch and patience when sanding is key as well as pushing like stated earlier.

I've never used super glue to hold a plug on either and I've turned down cylinders of different materials from cork to balssa to tupelo to foam.

Kirk