Fly Tying
njsimonson

Top "easy" hopper patterns

Now, I'm not looking for the super-realistic hopper patterns I sometimes see on this site, but what are some good basic hopper patterns to tie this winter?

I'm starting off with the Madam-X pattern, and plan to do some LeTorts as well. Are there any other, somewhat basic hopper patterns to recommend to a newbie? Post links to the patterns, if you have them!

Thanks, tight threads.

Two general patterns that will do for imitating hoppers are muddler minnows (treated to float) and stimulators. Google searches should lead to recipes for each, since they are both widely popular patterns.

I like that one OSD. Simple.

Nick, I tie a ton of stimulators over the winter, and they make a reasonable hopper imitation. A club sandwich also works very well, and is fairly easy to tie. It's just a bit time consuming. blink.gif

The Krystal-Butt Hopper and Cricket, as outlined in Harrison Steeves' book (Tying with Foam, Fur, and Feathers) are good patterns that don't take more than a few minutes to tie.

A black foam beetle. This is my number one terrestrial pattern. As far as hoppers go, I like the letort hopper. It doesn't take that long to tie and hold up pretty well. It also can be tied in black as a cricket.

Andrew

Geez guys thanks! There sure are a lot of different hopper patterns out there! I like that Fishy's Hopper, Pujic, I may have to invest in some more foam...and green fingernail polish. My girlfriend is more of a pink-purple polish girl...so I can't steal any from her! Used red to highlight my shotgun bead tho! biggrin.gif

bullethead hopper

i tied a couple of these, with some changes, but it is a real easy tie.

i put a yellow Cheneille body with brown hackle and a butt tag of red egg yarn.

havent fished them, so dont know how it will work, but it looks good to me!

I can confirm the Fishy's Hopper pattern. I got it from Pujic a while back in the swap and cuaght tons of fish on a copy of that fly. It floats great and when retrieved with 1ft pools it acts like a popper. I love that fly and never leave home without it. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

I can confirm the Fishy's Hopper pattern. I got it from Pujic a while back in the swap and cuaght tons of fish on a copy of that fly. It floats great and when retrieved with 1ft pools it acts like a popper. I love that fly and never leave home without it.

Right on Mozes! Glad to hear it's done well for you! headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

If you dont have these ,here are a few easy ones

Joliette Hopper

Hook: mustad 79580#8-12

Tail: red hackle fibers

Body: yellow wool

Ribbing: Brown hakle,palmered

Wing: paird sections of mottled brown turkey feather

Hackle: two brown nech hackles

Head: black lacquer

Joe's Hopper

Hook: mustad 94831,#6-12

Tail: scarlet hackle fibers

Rib: brown hackle,palmered and trimmed to a reverse taper

Body: light yellow polypro,extended over tail

Wing: turkey feather,as above pattern

Hackle: brown and grizzly mixed.

I have alot more, and am working on a pattern that I can chuck ito the tall grass,and plop it on the water with out getting hung up. Ill let you know when its done

let me know if you are interested in any more hopper patterns