Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Winter tips from last year

With winter just around the corner i figured i'd bring back a post from last year about some tips for keeping warm.

First off bootfoot neo's are a must if the weather is very cold,i have made due with breathables and layers under them during the mild winters but this year seems way colder than last already so bootfoot neo's are a must.

Under the neo's fleece wader pants are great but if you dont have them then i wear thermo long johns with a heavy pair of sweatpants over them.Stay away from wearing jeans as they dont retain body heat very well. Also thermo socks are a good idea.

For the upper body one word........LAYERS! i start out with a t-shirt then a thermo shirt over it,next i put on a long sleeve "fatigue" style shirt then over that i wear a pull over fleece. Over the fleece i wear a hooded sweat shirt if its really cold,then as an outer shell i wear a wind/resistant coat.

A hat is a must in the winter steelheading game....in the winter i wear a full face mask rolled up as a hat and if i get cold then i just pull it down...although then you look like a bank robber out fishing

Gloves are another must ....i like to use wool glaves as they seem warmer than neo gloves to me...BUT if you wear wool gloves make sure you have 2 pairs,one to wear and one to keep in the back of your vest because while wool gloves are very warm....WET wool gloves are NOT and when you hook that big 15# steelie and go to land/release it the last thing on your mind is your gloves so they are bound to get wet.

On the kinda days that make you nose stick together and your teeth rattle i have found that some pocket hand warmers both in the pockets and dropped down in your wader boots help to get ya warmed up.

Lastly a small thermose of coffee can be a life saver....against what some might tell you alcohol does not help to warm you up if you think a nip will keep you warm quite the oppesite,alcohol actually lowers your body temp so it will make you colder!

Hope this helps to keep everyone safe&warm out there this winter......everyone feel free to add tips if i missed anything!

SD

Good words of advice Steeldrifter. I have also heard people talking about eating pasta before you go because when the carbs are breaking down they say it will help keep you warm. I don't know if this is true. But alot of ice fisherpersons here in Colorado have told me that. Does anyone know if this is true or not.

Jim

Hey steeldrifter, have you ever tried plastic clothes as a base layer? Cotton never seems to dry and doesn't seem to keep you dry as you build up moisture from body heat or condensation. Polypro and other synthetics wick moisture away from you. Maybe this is why you feel neo is warmer than breathables, you had cotton on that never wicked over a cover layer that never breathed to allow that moisture to vent. The two secrets to keeping warm are to trap air to insulate (which neo and fuzzy poly both do) and to stay dry and unclammy which, from my experience, poly fiber pile and breathables do considerably well.

I ditched neoprene years ago after trying a good layer system under breathables. Simms did too.

They're also less a hassle to put on and take off.

Just adding my two centavo's.

Hey Peddler

Actually i pulled that post from a post i made last year. Over last winter i bought a set of silk blend under layer that wicks away mositure. It does a very nice job but i still found that the neo's are warmer than the breathables, at least for me.

Actually, SD.....

Wool does retain heat when wet, but i agree with the Neo's, but be sure to wear something wicking.They will retain moisture. That polar fleece sure is sweet. Dries in a hurry and is very comfy. rolleyes.gif

Glad you bumped that one. Many guys under-estimate one's heat loss out there.

I'm lookin' wink.gif

Always have... I just can't duplicate my lifestyle at a reduced income. If my wife and I could score 2/3 of our income down there, I'd be gone tomorrow.

Working on it....

Okay, I don't wanna be gross or nuthin' but I'm sure somebody here will know where I'm comin' from. This is a bummer in the warm weather, but downright irritating in cold weather with chest waders and tons of clothes.

Dealing with...number one. There's one spot I really love to fish and it involves being 60 yards from the nearest available tree, then about another 50 yards out into the lake. (Wading) I can't really have a big ol' cup of coffee (I have one of those mugs that actually holds an entire pot of coffee) just before getting into the water 'cause I'm getting back out of the water at least three times!

I've heard they sell catheters for hunters... is that a good option to keep me in the water and fishing?

Thanks for the heads up Steve, I'll be sure to dress warm this weekend. The forecast is for a high on only 75 degrees. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. cool.gif lol.gif Mooning-Smilie.gif

Figured the tips would come in handy for you Paul, you know as anglers reach thier "golden years" they feel the cold more than other..........come to think of it someone has a b-day very soon were they will be out of thier golden years and into their platinum years wont they? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Shoe @ Dec 3 2004, 10:41 PM)
I'm lookin' wink.gif

Always have... I just can't duplicate my lifestyle at a reduced income. If my wife and I could score 2/3 of our income down there, I'd be gone tomorrow.

Working on it....

Shoe, the cost of living! Do a search on comparative costs between locations and you might be suprised! Really!

Plus, I know a spot that could use your skills that is in about the same type of 'hood you're in now.

and yes, they DO wear shoes down here! biggrin.gif

You DO work on NASCAR driving shoes... dontcha? rolleyes.gif

Great thread!! BBBBRRRRRR!!!! After this weekend, a few other tips.

Feet: Keep your hat on, heat escapes from your head like no tomorrow. Electric socks, heat packets are an additional option to LAYERING socks. Over sized wading boots that allow the blood flow to your feet. (my feet are a 10.5 and my wading boots are a 12)

Legs: LAYER up with polypro and fleece. I will wear up to 3 LAYERS.

Torso: Up to 3 LAYERS of synthetics again. Cover with a wind/waterproof jacket (ventable if possible).

Head: NO FISHING BALL CAPS!!! Toques and balaclavas are the name of the game here.

Hands: Thier gonna get cold period. Latex gloves, fingerless gloves and a fleece overglove for really cold days and warming up (I keep these next to my body tucked in my wader straps. Extra pairs as well, as they are gonna get wet.

Number One: Could you insert a catheter into yourself?!?! bugeyes.gif Drink less coffee (it is a diretic (sp) and dehydrates you=feeling colder). A river thermos of hot cider goes a long way. I've thought about using grandpa panties to 'keep that special rock', but just have a hard time thinking about 'just letting it go' in my drawers.

LAYERS!!! Start with a near skin tight layer of silk, polypro etc. Then add your NON COTTON insulation layers. I couldn't stress this enough as others have. They wick away moisture and trap air.

Vapour Barrier/latex. This prevents the 'cooling from evaporation' theory from coming into play. Even in the dead of winter, your hands still sweat. A very small step to keeping those digits warm. Some guys like, most don't.

Dress for the river and not the walk. you can always remove a layer or vent when on the move, but it's a long walk back to the truck for the extra layer that you thought would be too hot.

Movement=heat so try to stay in motion. Flap your arms, march in place, or just move to the next pool. Nothing worst then standing in one place not catching fish and freezing. Warming up brings a new interst to the task at hand.

Art

QUOTE (artimus @ Dec 5 2004, 11:13 PM)
Electric socks
Art

I tried that Art and had a hellu'va time finding ext cords that were long enough, not to mention getting electrocuted when i stepped in the river bugeyes.gif

laugh.gif whistling1.gif

All good tips bud wink.gif

SD