Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jhammer

Carpin' the Auglaize

I was able to have some "me" time this morning so I took a short trip out to the Auglaize River. The water was somewhat clear and I could see a couple of solo fish and a couple pods of fish. I tied on a rust brown Mud Bug and started casting. Within about 10 minutes, the line just made a sudden stop while I was twitching the fly in. I set the hook and had my first carp of the day on. He gave the 8 weight a workout and after a strong battle I was able to net the carp. I remembered the net! :D

IMG_1280Custom.jpg

IMG_1281Custom.jpg

After catching the first carp, all of the others scattered.. I decided to try another area close by that looked like decent water. I noticed several carp in the new area and I thought I would give it a shot. I made a few casts, but nothing seemed interested. Then, my retrieve suddenly came to a stop. I set the hook and I swear my reel started smoking. It's been a long time since I've seen my backing knot and it sailed out of my guides like a rocket. After a long and fierce battle, I realized that this fish was not coming in at all. I waded out to the fish and after what seemed an eternity, I was able to net it. I fooled, hooked, and landed one of my biggest carp on the fly to date. Too bad I forgot the measuring tape and scale. <_<

IMG_1282Custom.jpg

IMG_1283Custom.jpg

IMG_1284Custom.jpg

IMG_1285Custom.jpg

Yeah, nothing like a carp for a fight on a light rig. When I was a kid we used to make dough balls out of Weatties and work them onto trebble hooks and catch them with cane poles until it was time to go home. It took a while to land them and your buddy had best pick up all the poles you had out.. Some folk know how to presure cook them some how and make them good to eat. Did you release them ... ???

Those fish have some huge lips....

that fly you used looks a bit like a crazy charlie

It's sort of based on the same concept. Most carp flies look much like bonefish flies.

Those fish have some huge lips....

that fly you used looks a bit like a crazy charlie

It's sort of based on the same concept. Most carp flies look much like bonefish flies.

the golden bone fish they say.

Or the poor mans bonefish. Either way they are a hoot to catch, and can't wait till this hurricane passes so I can get out.

Or the poor mans bonefish. Either way they are a hoot to catch, and can't wait till this hurricane passes so I can get out.

Be sure to try a Dubbin' Craw. ;)