Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Video: carp in a kayak, sight fishing

Shot this video on Friday. I threw in some spooks/misses to show a little of just how frustrating this can be! The water is very shallow, usually dirty, and the fishing is difficult.

Great video Cream. Did that second fish you threw at eat the fly? Looked like he swirled on it and you stuck him for a milisecond?

That shot of the fish tailing with the sun in back was a really nice piece of footage.

Good stuff,

Kirk

Was the boat stable enough or does it make your cast a chore?? I noticed your casts weren't "picture perfect", so I'm thinking it wasn't all that easy sitting and trying to balance the whole operation AND cast. Especially with a vid camera hanging on a mount and you not wanting to drown it.

Then, you have to land the fish to get the hook out, and a carp will pull you around town and/or dunk you.

What flys were you using??? Are they in the DBase?

When I was young I was into white water kayaking... back then I thought the other kinds were a joke.... ....hummmm .. well, now older and more decrepit I'm rethinking that... thanks for taking the effort to record and share the vid... I know it was a hassle, but it sure is fun to watch. ... and I sure can relate...

Was the boat stable enough or does it make your cast a chore?? I noticed your casts weren't "picture perfect", so I'm thinking it wasn't all that easy sitting and trying to balance the whole operation AND cast. Especially with a vid camera hanging on a mount and you not wanting to drown it.

Then, you have to land the fish to get the hook out, and a carp will pull you around town and/or dunk you.

What flys were you using??? Are they in the DBase?

When I was young I was into white water kayaking... back then I thought the other kinds were a joke.... ....hummmm .. well, now older and more decrepit I'm rethinking that... thanks for taking the effort to record and share the vid... I know it was a hassle, but it sure is fun to watch. ... and I sure can relate...

Lots of questions! Hopefully I can address them all well enough for you. The boat is ridiculously stable. I have fished from it for over two years, in lakes/ponds/rivers and the surf this coming October, and have yet to even come close to rolling or dunking. Casting for me is trickier because I'm making short casts with a heavily weighted fly. The fly tends to really "plop" into the water on me on those really short casts when the head of the fly line is hardly off the reel. I don't even use the dry bag for the camera if it's not raining and I'm on flat water, no worries about it getting dunked.

The flies are patterns I have come up with that are spinoffs of known carp patterns. They are not in the database, but I have posted pics of them before (I think). The one that caught the fish in this video is similar to a headstand, but I changed few things. The other fly that was rejected a few times looks like a tiny saltwater crab pattern. I wanted a broad profile in the dirty water to make it more visible.

Kirk, I had more than a few fish that night rush the crab-style fly, then stare at it, and reject it. One of the fish I think mouthed it and I set the hook but missed. So it goes with carp for me...a LOT!

This is the crab-esque pattern. I used Mustad 3366's in #6 for these. It's a short, chubby profile. The tail is marabou and rubber legs, the body is ice chenille wrapped tight and trimmed flat on top and bottom. The eyes are brass/lead. Pretty new carp fly for me, only fished it twice. Hooked 2 fish on it so far, both on the black version. I also did it in olive and root beer/craw orange.

DSC_0234-1.jpg

Hey Creme......Have you tried beadchain in place of the lead to reduce the "plop"?

Hey Creme......Have you tried beadchain in place of the lead to reduce the "plop"?

Most carp patterns I tie with bead chain and brass/lead for different depths. I went brass/lead only on this one because of the broad body, bead chain wouldn't get it down quickly enough!

Kirk, I had more than a few fish that night rush the crab-style fly, then stare at it, and reject it. One of the fish I think mouthed it and I set the hook but missed. So it goes with carp for me...a LOT!

put a little dab of crawfish scent on the fly, your hookup rate will increase a lot. Putting scent on flies for carp is like $%$#@#$%$#, 90 percent of guys do it, the other ten percent lie about it.

put a little dab of crawfish scent on the fly, your hookup rate will increase a lot. Putting scent on flies for carp is like $%$#@#$%$#, 90 percent of guys do it, the other ten percent lie about it.

The funny thing is, I did! :D It wasn't craw-flavored scent, but a standard "bass" scent I had in my old conventional gear bag. They didn't seem to like it. But I did pick up a bottle of craw scent while I was at the Cincinnati BPS on Sunday. ;)

Hey Cream...ring-ring...

Tell me about your boat...the kayak.. brand, weight..what you like / don't like. You get the drift. I'm thinking to get me one.. Being I did the white water gig in my younger days.. I can dig the kayak paddle stroke scene. That looks like a great way to get to the up back water bass and pan fish.

Hey Cream...ring-ring...

Tell me about your boat...the kayak.. brand, weight..what you like / don't like. You get the drift. I'm thinking to get me one.. Being I did the white water gig in my younger days.. I can dig the kayak paddle stroke scene. That looks like a great way to get to the up back water bass and pan fish.

-Future Beach Angler 160 (roughly 13' long, a little over)

-Weighs just under 60lbs empty, about average for a 13' SOT

-Likes: easy transport in my truck, shallow drafting (been in inches of water), silent, easy to paddle, lots of storage, internal storage I can stow a full length assembled fly rod inside, easy to cast from, incredibly stable

-Dislikes: wind, that's about it, wind can give you fits in open water, pushing you around if you're not anchored

I would never do that!!!! :rolleyes: :D ........You have been hiding in the weeds

Hey Cream...ring-ring...

-Future Beach Angler 160 (roughly 13' long, a little over)

-Weighs just under 60lbs empty, about average for a 13' SOT

-Likes: easy transport in my truck, shallow drafting (been in inches of water), silent, easy to paddle, lots of storage, internal storage I can stow a full length assembled fly rod inside, easy to cast from, incredibly stable

-Dislikes: wind, that's about it, wind can give you fits in open water, pushing you around if you're not anchored

Yeah, the wind is always a problem in a yak, in the past I can remember paddeling for hours against the wind just to get a few hundred yards. That can kill and completely spoil an otherwise nice day. But, on a nice day or down out of the wind, a yak can get you where you are going quickly and quietly.

The feeling of skimming along a back river is some what like flying.... you KNOW what I mean!

I'll be checking one out on the web....

Does it track straight, or do you have to skull with the paddle to maintain a straight track? Meaning like in a white water yak where you tilt and shape your J stroke.

If you don't have one, I absolutely recommend you get a true white water paddle.. they are WAY more efficent! ... one with a little "spoon" to it.