Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
2bonthewater

Can you tie one of these up???

Welp, my son found this while we were waiting for his bus..........it is the COOLEST wink.gif caterpillar I have ever seen..............

Imagine if this dude fell into the water........I think it would even scare off a smallmouth bass !!!!!

gentle critter.......he got a little wound up after being handled for a bit.....just started twisting and turning.......but pretty docile, he just kept walking and walking......would not stop or sit still..........

It turns into a Regal Moth

so, who is going to tie one up !!! you'd need like a 12X long hook !!!!! and 7 inches of foam about 3/4 inch thick........... wacko.gif

post-18624-0-24968900-1314832424_thumb.jpg

post-18624-0-19680000-1314832457_thumb.jpg

post-18624-0-19219500-1314832481_thumb.jpg

Citheronia regalis--- you are very fortunate to see a fully mature caterpillar. They are seriously impressive, and the adult moths are impressive too. BTW they are totally harmless. This time of year the caterpillars should be wandering around looking for a suitable place to burrow into the ground and pupate, then emerge as adult moths next spring. Excellent find!!

the critter was super cool........after a few pics..............he was sent back to the wilds of Berks County PA !!! This was without a doubt the coolest find of the year...........glad my little man spotted it...........

Finding uncommon insects is always interesting. years back when I lived in whistler BC and worked nights, I would see a large insect right around dawn and the first hour or so when the sun was up. It was quite big with a mottled wing with anttenae sweeping back over its body. it was seriously imposing. I mentioned it to brian chan, the head of the BC freshwater society and he had no idea what I had seen. I think it may have been a real large caddis as I only ever saw them in june and early july.

marc

To tie one of those up, youl'd need a 10x or tandem hooks and half a rabbit hide!

A friend of mine gave me a few on two different occasions to raise, man, they are a job to keep fed, they go through leaves like crazy.

Here is a link to some more pics I took of our little pets including in the pre-pupal and pupal stage. Didn't have the camera handy when they emerged and were released.

https://picasaweb.google.com/KirkDietrich/HornedDevil?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Kirk

The day we got them.

DSC_0182-3.jpg

One of the instar stages before it turns green.

HickoryHornedDevil-124-1sm.jpg

My son holding for scale.

HickoryHornedDevil-232-45.jpg

one time on the St Joe we kept seeing an orangish caterpillar everywhere. I found one on the road while we were walking and tossed it down into the river about 70' below us. A HUGE cut broke out into the pool on it from about 20' away, zipped right up to it and then turned and bolted back under its rock. My take away was that they were not tasty. ;)