Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
amateurforever

Vise advice

Amateruforever,

If you have a tendency to over tighten you are correct. Do not get a DanVise.. It over tightens enough by it self, and you MUST conside that. But, they provide a DVD that explains that.... although mine will not play on my computer for some reason. :blink:

Others, Dan Vise has one other minor problem. The nut that holds the bracket and vise to the main body needs to be a square nut. On mine this was shipped with a hex nut. It can spin in the capture slot. This is instantly fixed by simply purchasing (or digging in your junk drawer for) a proper metric square nut. Note: take your screw with you to the hardware store. ...Or... as I did, use a "warm" solder iorn to reshape the capture pocket and put super glue around the nut hex. Mine works perfectly.. and I LOVE it.

I agree I would not recommend a DanVise for large salt water hooks. I tie from 6 down and it holds solid.

I regularly tie 3/0 bass bugs and streamers on my Peak with standard jaws. The standard jaws will hold some big BIG hooks just fine, and I also tie #20 flies with the same jaws. No problem. It's all about how you position the hook in the jaws. No need to crank down hard and use excessive force to flip the lever.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Now I think I will take the DanVise into the consideration as well.

Amateruforever,

If you have a tendency to over tighten you are correct. Do not get a DanVise.. It over tightens enough by it self, and you MUST conside that. But, they provide a DVD that explains that.... although mine will not play on my computer for some reason. :blink:

Others, Dan Vise has one other minor problem. The nut that holds the bracket and vise to the main body needs to be a square nut. On mine this was shipped with a hex nut. It can spin in the capture slot. This is instantly fixed by simply purchasing (or digging in your junk drawer for) a proper metric square nut. Note: take your screw with you to the hardware store. ...Or... as I did, use a "warm" solder iorn to reshape the capture pocket and put super glue around the nut hex. Mine works perfectly.. and I LOVE it.

I agree I would not recommend a DanVise for large salt water hooks. I tie from 6 down and it holds solid.

Thank you again. Very helpful comment, but just another question:

Is it true that since the head position on the Peak vise is not adjustable, it will be difficult to apply the rotation feature to small hooks, since the hook's shank will stay away from the rotation axis?

I regularly tie 3/0 bass bugs and streamers on my Peak with standard jaws. The standard jaws will hold some big BIG hooks just fine, and I also tie #20 flies with the same jaws. No problem. It's all about how you position the hook in the jaws. No need to crank down hard and use excessive force to flip the lever.

I tie on a Danvise and tie almost exclusively saltwater. Most of my flies are #2-1/0 but I also tie my own bucktail jigs on up to 1 oz lead heads with hook sizes up to 5/0 or 6/0 with no problems. You just have to make sure the hook is placed in the jaws exactly right or it will slip. I have also had a bit of an issue with the jaws flaring a bit at the tip but I imagine that is because I am probably tying on hooks larger than the jaws are rated for. Since I don't tie small trout flies this isn't a problem for me.

I do agree that it gets cramped a bit behind the jaws. I should invest in the extension arm but have managed alright without it so far.

Here is a link to Mr. Al Beatty's website. He is the American Danvise Distributor.

BT's Fly Fishing

Under the block titled: DANVISE Central on the right side of the front page

is the following text which has imbedded links to the two part YouTube presentation of setting up the Danvise and adjusting it's jaws.

" Here[/url] is the first half of a video on how to setup the vise and here is the second half including the jaw adjustment near the end of the clip. "

Is it true that since the head position on the Peak vise is not adjustable, it will be difficult to apply the rotation feature to small hooks, since the hook's shank will stay away from the rotation axis?

No. We're not using it for high RPMs like NorVise. I haven't had any problems rotary tying body materials and hackle on #20s.

Thank you. It was very helpful.

Here is a link to Mr. Al Beatty's website. He is the American Danvise Distributor.

BT's Fly Fishing

Under the block titled: DANVISE Central on the right side of the front page

is the following text which has imbedded links to the two part YouTube presentation of setting up the Danvise and adjusting it's jaws.

" Here[/url] is the first half of a video on how to setup the vise and here is the second half including the jaw adjustment near the end of the clip. "

Many thanks again, for your very informative and helpful comments.

No. We're not using it for high RPMs like NorVise. I haven't had any problems rotary tying body materials and hackle on #20s.