Fly Tying
MVHagey

Dun Hackle

You know, although I have at least a hundred chicken skins (cock, hen, neck, saddle), not one of them described itself as "champagne." I would guess it to be a light ginger or a golden cream. But whatever variation it is I would think it would work well for lighter-hackled duns. Such as Sulphurs, Pale Morning Duns, the Grey Fox, the Light Cahill, the Ginger Quill and hundreds of others. It sounds like it should complement the brassy dun nicely. By the way, if you are buying these for duns you want to make sure you are getting a cape (or saddle) with plenty of the smaller feathers (#10 to #20.)

You know, although I have at least a hundred chicken skins (cock, hen, neck, saddle), not one of them described itself as "champagne." I would guess it to be a light ginger or a golden cream. But whatever variation it is I would think it would work well for lighter-hackled duns. Such as Sulphurs, Pale Morning Duns, the Grey Fox, the Light Cahill, the Ginger Quill and hundreds of others. It sounds like it should complement the brassy dun nicely. By the way, if you are buying these for duns you want to make sure you are getting a cape (or saddle) with plenty of the smaller feathers (#10 to #20.)

The champagne color is on whiting's website and it is a really nice color. I'm pretty lucky that the shop has so many necks in a lot of different colors. The only colors they don't have are other shades of dun and light ginger. Thanks a lot for the input!

Right you are! I checked out Whiting's website and found their champagne capes. They are listed amongst the duns and although its hard to tell from my computer screen they both appear to be shades of ginger-dun. If the price is right I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for the use you intend. I note that the 2 shades of champagne occur only in their Hebert-Miner capes. These stocks have produced some of the nicest colours available. But do examine these capes carefully. I find the Hebert-Miner capes (as beautiful as they are) tend to have a much smaller quantity of the #10 to #20 sized feathers than do the Whiting capes.

I have a hard time finding the right color of dun for the Gray Ghost too Kirk. I have not found an olive gray feather, yet. I bought a medium dun hackle that was from Whiting, and I thought it was too dark. I think it is what you would call a rusty dun, because the outside of the feathers had a little brown tone. I don't want the feather to look too dark, or almost white. I bought a med dun Ewing saltwater saddle, and it is almost white. I have bought some strung saddle that was nice, but pricey. I bought a lt dun neck...I think it may work out. It is still in the freezer, so I will know soon. I think for dun, I prefer a light silver gray, and sometimes a bluish gray is nice too. Medium gray is fine as well. The darker grays won't be used as much for my streamers. I can't see good, and I would love to see a full color chart by each hackle breeder. Those little patches, if that on a screen aren't god enough. I want to be able to see it, and zoom in, to look at it even closer. We are spending a lot of money on chicken feathers. It irks me to get a color that won't work out right for me. So photos really sell a saddle for me, or cape. :-)