Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Aqueous1025

Bass pattern book

Can some people recomend a good or some good bass pattern books or tying books??

I have been fishing this creek and the ponds behind my house here in Little Elm TX and thought that there were only small to mid ranged blue gills and some small small mouth and large mouth bass in them. The other day though I had stopped watching my line to watch these two dragon flies that were coupled together bouncing on the water suface when low and behold a giant large mouth bass shot up from the bottom out of now where and came completely out of the water right in front of me in an attempt to nab the dragon flies as they bounced off. It missed, lol, but left me breath taken having witnessed this beautiful and large fish in action just five feet in front of me. Obviously I was wrong about the small size of the fish in the ponds and creek having witnessed this. I really want to fly fish for the bass but the books I have contain only a very small number of bass patterns in them mostly being dedicated to trout. Im at around an intermediate level so a pattern book would be good enough, I won't scoff at a begginer book or one that has step oriented patterns in it (might be very helpful since I am just getting back into tying again from 20 years ago).

Thank you all for any help on this

You can tie the trout flies for the bass also. Any minnow fly, streamer or top water foam popper will also work. Woolly Buggers, Clouser minnows, and leaches work also.

Look on the forum database that are tagged with "bass" What works for me most of the time are poppers and then for subsurface crayfish patterns.

Can some people recomend a good or some good bass pattern books or tying books??

I have been fishing this creek and the ponds behind my house here in Little Elm TX and thought that there were only small to mid ranged blue gills and some small small mouth and large mouth bass in them. The other day though I had stopped watching my line to watch these two dragon flies that were coupled together bouncing on the water suface when low and behold a giant large mouth bass shot up from the bottom out of now where and came completely out of the water right in front of me in an attempt to nab the dragon flies as they bounced off. It missed, lol, but left me breath taken having witnessed this beautiful and large fish in action just five feet in front of me. Obviously I was wrong about the small size of the fish in the ponds and creek having witnessed this. I really want to fly fish for the bass but the books I have contain only a very small number of bass patterns in them mostly being dedicated to trout. Im at around an intermediate level so a pattern book would be good enough, I won't scoff at a begginer book or one that has step oriented patterns in it (might be very helpful since I am just getting back into tying again from 20 years ago).

This book is a good place to start: Tying Bass Flies There also is Skip Morris' The art of the Bass fly that is good. Chris Helm has great videos, his one on pike flies also applies to bass flies if you tie them smaller. Dave Whitlock had some great ones also. My top blue gill fly was a flip flop popper or I used stacked foam and a piece of sharpened brass. When you hear the gill suck it in its golden.

Thank you guys so much. I have never lived in an area where bass fishing was the target fish. Most areas I have lived in were trout fishing areas. I hate sounding like such a noob, but I havent ever tried fly fishing yet and plan to now. It will be a new experience and nice to fish something I tie instead of trading them in for more materials lol.

My two and a half cents...

Just one Book I've used is "Top Ten Smallmouth Bass Flies" by Brad Miller. Considering it provides step by step tying and an over-all success strategy it's a little more than just a pattern guide. It truly is however a worthwhile read and re-read. I have the Kindle version from Amazon.

As someone said.. Bass is Bass. I suspect The biggies won't turn up their noses to the offerings presented in the book just because the author gave the little guys top billing. :ph34r:

We all have our own "Top Ten" so "THE Top Ten" may be a stretch BUT... :rolleyes: The book is worthwhile for sure and the patterns are worth taking space in anyone's box. The overall strategy of a few types of flies covering all the bases on any given day has of course been proven true no matter the hunt.

On a side, side note... I've fished some of those remote Texas "tanks." You sir are in for a treat! One day a buddy of mine and I took 23 bucket mouths from such a tank in one day... If I mentioned minimum size it would appear to be "just a fish story."

Suffice it to say I hope you have more than a 4 weight rod!

I found this book on amazon used for a couple dollars has good bass patterns in it. Bass flies by Dick Stewart

post-22591-0-05410100-1319300547_thumb.jpg

Thank you all again

As for a rod I only have a cheapy walmart spinner for now, lol, I spent a bit on some good tying tools and vise plus a few materials to get me going again. I plan to buy a nice bait caster and rod as well as a good fly rod and reel when I get the chance. I am thinking you are right about being surprised though, I caught a decent sized bass just messin with a soft bait the other day. I'll definitely have to rethink the idea of buying a really light weight fly rod for around my house. Id really like something shorter than longer because of the walkways and stuff around the house though.

Again thank you all for being so helpful