Fly Tying
famill00

Crawrish, Crawdad, Mudbug, whatever you call 'em Swap

I am new at this but if I am allowed I can tie a dark brown crayfish 6-10 any sugestion in size Thanks

Glad to have you! If you are a beginner, it is generally easier to tie a larger pattern than a smaller one. I would suggest a size 6 to start out with. If you have any questions or need any help, post them here and I am sure that they guys/gals will be more than happy to help. I am a relatively new tier myself, and these swaps really help to improve your skills.

-Forrest

I am new at this but if I am allowed I can tie a dark brown crayfish 6-10 any sugestion in size Thanks

Glad to have you! If you are a beginner, it is generally easier to tie a larger pattern than a smaller one. I would suggest a size 6 to start out with. If you have any questions or need any help, post them here and I am sure that they guys/gals will be more than happy to help. I am a relatively new tier myself, and these swaps really help to improve your skills.

-Forrest

Thank you will do

I've decided to tie a size 6, rabbit fur crawdad with small claws, probably olive. This pattern was killing it yesterday!

There are two spots left, any takers? I think that this swap will yield some great patterns for trout and smallies alike. Who wants the last two spots?

-Forrest

This is the crawdad I am working on,I still need to do a little tweaking on it. this is a new tie for me,it should come out good,and catch fish too.

After I saw the pics I posted,I tied the dang thing backwards,oh well,the tail needs to be at the eye of the hook so it swims right.I will get it right before the swap,well you guys get the idea.

post-33030-0-93330300-1319592973_thumb.jpg

post-33030-0-37370300-1319592984_thumb.jpg

One more bump for anyone who may want in on the last two spots. If no one else would like to join we can close the swap and everyone sends the appropriate number of flies.

So, who else?????

-Forrest

a good walking craw pattern just the way it is just let it sink to the bottom and then bump it along there real slow bass usually feed on crayfish tail first taking them by surprise walking around the rocks

should I make them just like that,what do you all think?

post-33030-0-18361100-1319851618_thumb.jpg

post-33030-0-77923700-1319851641_thumb.jpg

I think it looks great either way. One thing I would ask is have you water tested it? I just wonder if the claws are stiff enough to stay forward like that when pulled. If they flop back against the legs, it would give an unnatural look. Just my thoughts.

I just tied the first of my pattern. I had to go to JoAnn to get the material for the claws. It is a tan/olive, rabbit/cow crawdaddy. How's that for a name? Whatever it's called, this fly will catch fish!

Everyone, please read the first post. This swap is now closed. Everyone please send 12 flies. PM me for an address request when you are ready to send your flies. I look forward to seeing the results of this swap!

-Forrest

Everyone, ditz2 has had to drop out due to a family emergency. I will still say that we should all tie up one dozen crayfish. If any of you know someone who is interested in filling in the spot, please let me know or reply here.

-Forrest

Everyone,

A personal friend of mine at our tying club has graciously volunteered to round out our one dozen tiers. Everyone please send 12 flies each!

-Forrest