Fly Tying
jhammer

What's your favorite leader-to-line connection?

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the whitlock method CAN be used even for changing leaders. just use a 12-18 inch butt section then bloodknot the leader to that. snip the leader of at this knot to change leaders.

That would be a great field-expedient solution if you get a tight wind knot part way up your leader, or if you get a bad abrasion above the tippet. Although you can do a new Whitlock connection on the water if you carry the stuff with you, it wouldn't be much fun. Doing it correctly and thoroughly testing it at home, then using your method to resolve problems if they happen makes good sense.

I prefer lines with a welded loop, once that wears out I nail knot a piece of heavy mono with a loop on the end. If the line doesn't come out of the box with a loop I use the nail knot/mono deal. I HATE those chinese finger trap dacron loops.

I am trying to buy the lines with a ready loop, or make one with thread & Aquasure glue. The furled leaders I use all have a loop to attach to the line.

I'm an old relic, I have a box full of loops that I've cut off every fly line I buy. I hate the hinge of loop to loop connections although most of my flies are tied on a loop knot. My nail knots seem to create less disturbance on the surface film and if I'm fishing around a lot of structure it's one less thing to worry about getting stuck. I know my preferred method is antiquated but I'm an antique and it works for me. Confidence is huge in fishing and essential

as a guide. I happily sacrifice the ease of loop to loop changes for what I genuinely believe is less visually invasive. But I'm the red-headed stepchild of fly fishing so it doesn't surprise me that everyone else uses loops.

I have contemplated using the superglue knot but have some reservations with the functionality of changing leaders. I noted the comments about and will have to consider that at some point. One other change I am considering for this season is to use a tippet ring to attach my leader to the tippet. In my mind it seems to be a good idea. Actual practice may change my mind back to old style triple surgeons knots.

No one so far has mentioned the problem of knots at the leader/line junction snagging in the rod tip and guides. I use looong leaders a lot for trout and the knot has to slip through the rod guides w/o snagging or delicate leaders can go snap easily. I use a nail knot in these cases but cover it with a flexible glue to form a tapered cover over the knot that slips through the guides. It also helps prevent wear on, the line covering near the knot. Barge cement works the best for me. A topuch of white finger nail polish under the glue makes for a subtle, non-ssplashy, indicator too.

Rocco

No one so far has mentioned the problem of knots at the leader/line junction snagging in the rod tip and guides. I use looong leaders a lot for trout and the knot has to slip through the rod guides w/o snagging or delicate leaders can go snap easily. I use a nail knot in these cases but cover it with a flexible glue to form a tapered cover over the knot that slips through the guides. It also helps prevent wear on, the line covering near the knot. Barge cement works the best for me. A topuch of white finger nail polish under the glue makes for a subtle, non-ssplashy, indicator too.

Rocco

This is why I am considering the superglue knot.

I have contemplated using the superglue knot but have some reservations with the functionality of changing leaders. I noted the comments about and will have to consider that at some point. One other change I am considering for this season is to use a tippet ring to attach my leader to the tippet. In my mind it seems to be a good idea. Actual practice may change my mind back to old style triple surgeons knots.

The tippet rings are the best solution. First of all this connection is stronger than any knot (give it a try)!

Use the Improved Clinch or Double Clinch knots, moisturize the line before tying the knots.

I have the tippet rings on all of my floating and sinking leaders. On the sinking ones I don't tie them in, but glue them in with a thread.

Best luck!

I build furled leaders and have used tippet rings as well as loops in the end of my leaders. I really like the loops, I forgot the name of the knot but it makes a very nice and strong knot. As for the connection between my line and leader I do something a bit different. I basically lash the leader to the line with 30lb spectra and a whip finish. The knot is tied just like a nail knot and I then pull it really tight. Once the knot is coated with Zap it is nice smooth connection. I fish primarily with smaller rods and long leaders. This method moves through my guides much more easily than the loop to loop I was using.

Paul