Fly Tying
lewy271

Moving to North Carolina

Okay my company basically told me that I'm moving to Charlotte, NC. Anyone from out there? Give me the scoop on what I am in store for fishing wise?

I already miss my smallmouth stream and I haven't even left yet. I also have a feeling that I'm going to miss my pike fishing too.

O well I guess I will be closer to the Ocean than in Chicago...

Thanks for the input

It ain't so bad. I did the same thing 3 years ago when I moved from Michigan. A few things you should enjoy, other than the mostly friendly people and sweet tea, are the views when you're fishing. I'm not sure where you're from but Michigan waters are nothing like these. The mountains and pocket waters will blow you away.

They stock heavily during the year so the chances of nabbing some HUGE brook trout and others are very good. There are a lot of good rivers with hold-over fish that get some size to them too. The tailwaters also get some natural reproduction that offer good times. If you aren't spoiled rotten on big fish the mountain native brookies are almost worth the move. Certainly the scenery is. We do outings and float for smallies in the tailwaters once or twice a year. The latest thing is targeting, believe this or not, musky in those tailwaters. A few friends have had great success once they stopped throwing smallie-sized bugs. The ocean isn't as close as you think but the 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hour drive is worth it. If you have family there is plenty for them to do there while your wondering what the heck kind of fish you just caught.

It only hurts when people start talking about pike and musky season, salmon and steelhead season and predictable, set-your-watch by them hatches. There is an extraordinary number of fly flingers around here and they are just as gung-ho as any I've met anywhere.

I'm pretty sure you'll like it. There are many other 'danged Yankee's' who have moved down here lately so you won't have total culture shock, especially when one of them cuts you off while giving you the bird! It'll feel just like home!

The school system in Mecklinberg County absolutely SUCKS! It's one big social 'feel good' experiment that isn't working. Taxes are high in Mecklinberg too but once you see how much house you get for the northern dollar (I'm assuming you're from the north!) you will keep a grin on your face.

Best of luck and drop me a line when you get settled in.

I'm looking forward to it there is no doubt in that, but I've been fishing this state for say twenty years, I'm 28 now... You know just when you feel you have a handle on your fishing, everything changes...And that 4 to 5 hour drive to the ocean not a problem, I look forward to some salt fishing. I guess when I move out there I will have to start paying more attention to the cold water forum. The only salmon and trout that I've caught have been on chaters on lake michigan.

I have no wife/kids to slow me down it should be a good time in some new fishing areas. I will definitely say hi when I get in down there. Maybe we can wet a line... Thanks for the info!

I have made the trip to see a buddy that lives in NC a couple times and fished a couple spots down there. Mostly on the Davidson river in Ashville i believe it is. You will love fishing down there.

I'm not sure of the warmwater species that you can find but the streams that come out of the mountians are simply unbelieveable! extremely clear, cold and full of fat rainbows, and the scenery is beautiful. If your within driving distance of the davidson river make that a must fish for you at least a few times.

SD

No, stay away from the Davidson, not worth the trip! j_k.gif The Davidson is in Brevard, not Asheville but well worth the trip. It is a bule ribbon river and can be a real challenge to fish. I have a place in Cashiers, NC and get up there several times a year.

It is about 2 hours or so from Charlotte to some of the finest smallie fishing in the South. The New River in NC/VA is very good as is the James In VA.

Also the Western pat of the state has some fine smallies.

It is 2 hrs from my house to the Charlotte airport and 15 minutes to smallie fishing.

You should not have a problem replacing your smallie stream with a new one.

Watch out for Peddler he is sneaky biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Give me a shout when you get moved and I will help wth the smallies not those coldwater fishes that others think are supreme. I think it is their mis-guided thinking. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Smallies rule

Irish the smallie man

Awesome now I'm actually getting excited to move. Last I heard they want me there by the end of January, but things at this place have a way of happening much sooner sometimes...I will definitely say hi once I have self planted....

Note to self: Pack fly rods and vest last therefore they are the first thing to be unpacked.