Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cody Gould

Trout Flies

omg, that is a vague question. What area are you in? Still water or river?

my top 5 for this time of year where i am

SJW/blood worms

small leaches

chromies

chenille worms

hairs ear nymphs

There is no right answer to that question. That's why there are so many different flies. A different one for a region,size of insect, a lake or river, time of year, time of day...you get the idea. I don't mean to discourage you here on this forum but that is a question that is probably better asked at your local flyshop

There is no right answer to that question. That's why there are so many different flies. A different one for a region,size of insect, a lake or river, time of year, time of day...you get the idea. I don't mean to discourage you here on this forum but that is a question that is probably better asked at your local flyshop

Ok thanks, Ill for sure experement flies different times of the day and study what insects are around the river to get the right flies.

Call some fly shops in your area and pick the brains of seasoned fly fishers. Hare's ears in colors to match the bugs in the particular streams you are fishing, copper johns, pheasant tails, elk hair caddis, again to match local bugs, woolly buggers and a few others work for me on almost all tailwater and freestones streams I fish. There are as many opinions as there are flies. Don't be overwhelmed by the choices. How, where and when you fish a particular fly is more important than the type of fly itself, generally speaking. If you present a fly properly I don't think a fish will pass it up just because is isn't one of the currently hatching bugs. I hope that helps a little.

Bruce

Call some fly shops in your area and pick the brains of seasoned fly fishers. Hare's ears in colors to match the bugs in the particular streams you are fishing, copper johns, pheasant tails, elk hair caddis, again to match local bugs, woolly buggers and a few others work for me on almost all tailwater and freestones streams I fish. There are as many opinions as there are flies. Don't be overwhelmed by the choices. How, where and when you fish a particular fly is more important than the type of fly itself, generally speaking. If you present a fly properly I don't think a fish will pass it up just because is isn't one of the currently hatching bugs. I hope that helps a little.

Bruce

Thank you! That will help me out tremendously! :)