Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ibonn

Scissors

I have been looking for a very fine tipped pair of scissors, anyone have any suggestions as to the sharpest and most pinpoint accurate? I have a couple pairs of Dr. Slicks as well as a pair of sixth fingers....Anvils? I routinely tie 20 to 26 size flies and I can't seem to get close enough.

Surgical supply, perhaps?

You didn't say which Dr Slicks you have. Their microtip scissors have very fine tips.

I have a long pair of the microtips (4 inch) and an all purpose short pair. The Microtips are pretty good with fine work but when I get really small they are not fine enough. Does anyone have the smaller pairs? Will they cut finer than the larger pair? Does anyone use the Anvil scissors?

Thanks,

I have a long pair of the microtips (4 inch) and an all purpose short pair. The Microtips are pretty good with fine work but when I get really small they are not fine enough. Does anyone have the smaller pairs? Will they cut finer than the larger pair? Does anyone use the Anvil scissors?

Thanks,

Have you tried Dr. Slick Razor scissors? They're excellent.

I use the microtips too and they work for me, but I'm far from a perfectionist.

I think you might want to check out surgical supply outlets. Specifically, scissors used for delicate eye surgery and the like(if there is such a thing). I picked up an artery clamp that is an outstading hackle plier, but pricey.

Edit:

I purchased a Mueller bulldog artery clamp from these folks www.cardinal.com, but it wasn't an easy quest.

If you can't find scissors with a fine enough tip use a file to take down the tips from the outside. You can get a needlepoint on the scissors.

I bought a pair of cuticle scissors that are real fine. The only problem is the finger holes are real small too.

I have used the same pair of Miltex sissors for 40 years, they are very sharp and expensive. The Ones I use are #18-1415 (straight).

http:/www.shopmedvet.com/product/iris-ribbon-scissors-3-75inch-curved-miltex/miltex-scissors

Mel

I end up comparing everything to my buddies surgical iris scissors that are $200. I can't afford that! I have some fine point Dr. Slick's but just bought some Anvil's that seem to work much better. Not as good as surgical scissors, but a lot better. I just finished re-stocking my spring creek box and tied about 200 flies 18-22, and the anvils worked just fine and better than the Dr. Slicks.

It appears that if I want to buy precision cutting in scissors I will need to get a vault to store them in... Thanks for all the information, I did order a set of Anvils and I suppose I will eventually order the high end surgical scissors as well, I just need to figure out where I can get financing...

Sometimes it pays to do a little poking around in one of the closeout stores - I recently found a pair of very fine-pointed cuticle scissors at Ocean State Job Lot for $3.00. I bought a couple of pairs - I only use them in really tight spots, so they should last for some time. If they don't, it's no great loss.

I have the blue tungsten 4.5 version and they cut very well, not quite as precise as I would like, excellent scissor, one drawback I have found with these is the screw backs itself out quickly as you work, I should get off my butt and get some lock-tite on it I just haven't thought about it the last couple of times I have been by the hardware store. The blue paint chips off easy too.