Fly Tying
flyfishing99

Never tie the Klinkhammer. Need tips

OK, I went back to my desk and tied one on an Orvis scud hook. Is this any better or do I need to get "the real deal" hooks?

IMG_2536.jpg

And another

IMG_2538.jpg

That is the same hook I use for them, I think. Is it a 2X fine Orvis Scud hook? I like #2 better, I try to take the body about that far down the hook shank. The first one in this post looks like you could have brough the body down farther on the shank.

And for what it's worth, I prefer the orange hi-vis parachute post material/z-lon or whatever product you use. In flat water I can see white just fine, but in the slightest bit of turbulent water white disappears on me. The fish don't seem to mind the orange and it is much easier to see.

Went back and "bent" a 200R hook....................

Any better?

IMG_2540.jpg

I like the look of the klinks tied on a scud hook also. Lots of people use the scud hooks too but they tend to be too heavy to stay in the surface like they are supposed to in my opinion. This one looks beautiful my friend. Now tie some up with some different color variations

I wanted to tie some smaller versions.

Only small "curved" hooks I have on hand are Orvis 1639 scud hook in size 18.

Seriously, I think you can see this parapost material in the dark!!

IMG_2564.jpg

Here's the best video I've seen of a Klinkhammer. As you can see, the hook is bent down so the tail trails down in the water.

One big difference is most people when they add the hackle they parachute it as the normally would with the shiney side up. I once read an article from Hans where he said this was incorrect. The hackle has to be reversed, dull side or back of the feather is upwards. This way the fly sits in the meniscus (surface film) not on top. Makes a big difference when catching fish as they probably see it more as a cripple or a real fly. Workks . I've tried both versions for a number of years and dull side up really outfishes shiney feather side up.

Peace

nindja

Here's a "Klink" the way I like to tie 'em. Even though I never tried it with biot before I have good hopes for this one.

Hook used is Partridge Klinkhamer Extreme 15BNX #16, and as earlier mentioned the fluorescent wing makes a world of difference. This one is fitted with a TMC aero dry wing yarn in fluorescent pink.

Cheers,

Andreas

post-20533-0-25813900-1329337970_thumb.jpg