Fly Tying
Flies & Photos

Speckled Trout Fly SWAP

yeah Pawleys island south cackalacky. we didnt even have a winter this year --water is still 56F. but i work in knee deep cypress swamps so i am not complaining at all.

we dont have underwater grass beds here so i want to survey what you guys do.

do the flies need a weedguard?

We have oyster beds galore so I pretty much tie everything with a guard. I figure if it's not needed it can always be cut off. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. ;)

what weight rod are you tossing?

8wt

do you get it down with a sinking line, flouro leader, or lead eyes.

I use a floating line and either lead or bead chain eyes.

Well Im glad to say I found a pattern and with some good beer I have finished. Its a soft hackle fly (got the idea after seeing some of Panama's!) that I would call a soft hackle baitfish. Found a picture of the fly somewhere on google.

In any case here it is. Hopefully its something that would work for big specks. Otherwise I have 7 new flys for myself :blink: Be honest too!

@Flies & Photos- Can you PM me your address?!?!? Thanks!

IMG_9339.jpg

OH yeah. If you think 3d eyes with some CCG will make them even better.. let me know Ill put some on. The fly I saw had them.. but I kinda liked em without.

I love it! Marabou is great stuff, moves like magic in the water... I have seen several variations with a tail like that, it'll catch fish for sure.

If you seal the thread with head cement or nail polish hand painted eyes would give it an awesome look...much sleeker than 3D and just as effective.

I love it! Marabou is great stuff, moves like magic in the water... I have seen several variations with a tail like that, it'll catch fish for sure.

If you seal the thread with head cement or nail polish hand painted eyes would give it an awesome look...much sleeker than 3D and just as effective.

Good idea! My luck if I tried doing 3d eyes I wouldve gotten CCG all over the marabou and made a huge mess. :unsure:

post-30681-0-53286600-1330313887_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-41318700-1330313900_thumb.jpg

Decided there were probably going to be several baitfish patterns so I went with a shrimp. Crease fly with rattle and weed guard about four inches long. Hasn't had epoxy coat yet but it will.

post-30681-0-53286600-1330313887_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-41318700-1330313900_thumb.jpg

Decided there were probably going to be several baitfish patterns so I went with a shrimp. Crease fly with rattle and weed guard about four inches long. Hasn't had epoxy coat yet but it will.

NICE!!

post-30681-0-65291300-1330315471_thumb.jpg

Just a little inspiration...bad pic, good fish.

Now that right there is legit inspiration and the crease is awesome...

Just in time baby! Trout are moving, water is warming and the topwater bite is warming with it!

Those shrimp will tear 'em up..no doubt.

Addy please.