Fly Tying
Lance Kekel

Coating turkey quills?

So what are people using to coat their turkey quills with to keep them from splitting when using them for things like hopper wings or stone fly wing cases? I always used to use flex-i-ment but it seems to have disappeared to environmental concerns. I've thought about tying to use my flexible Clear Cure Goo but it seems like a very messy and inefficient solution. Looking for some good ideas!

thanks!

Hi Lance,

I use Krylon Fixatif on many feathers including turkey. It comes in an 11 1/2oz white spray can with a clear top. You only have to spray one side of the feather to make them way more durable. It dries very quickly and the can lasts for a very long time. They can be found at art supply stores since they're made to coat charcoal drawings etc. Craft stores may carry it also.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Lance,

I use Krylon Fixatif on many feathers including turkey. It comes in an 11 1/2oz white spray can with a clear top. You only have to spray one side of the feather to make them way more durable. It dries very quickly and the can lasts for a very long time. They can be found at art supply stores since they're made to coat charcoal drawings etc. Craft stores may carry it also.

Regards,

Mark

Hi tack hair spray will also work

I highly endorse the Krylon Fixative. I have used it for at least 30 years, and would not use anything else. It hold up forever.

I highly endorse the Krylon Fixative. I have used it for at least 30 years, and would not use anything else. It hold up forever.

Krylon Fixative is definitely the way to go, but some may not have a close source to purchase other than online. I should have said hair spray as an alternative to what has been mentioned so far, it would be better than not treating the feathers at all.

Thanks!

I think I'll give the Krylon a try. I had used Dave's before and couldn't find it anymore and had been told that it was pulled off the market. Looks like it's still around or maybe back with a new formula? Don't know. I'm liking the krylon idea though as I should be ably to easily treat an entire feather.