Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ikerajala

Any Geocashers out there?

Hello,

During a recent trip to the library I uncovered A complete idiots guide to geocaching. I already Knew what Geocaching was because I remember learning about it when it first came out. I even used to own a GPS! I read the book and I visited the official Geocaching website.www.geocaching.com. It is interesting. I learned that in my postal code there are literally thousands of caches. I don't want to be a spammer or what ever, but I insist that if you don't know what it is already check it out. It might be right up your alley! Or maybe you already are a geocacher in which case it would be fun to share a story.

Thanks bye.

(edit) IT is Geocaching not cashing sorry.

We have done it a few times when camping, the earth caches are kinda fun too since there is a learning component to them for the kids.

Been at it for a few years, kids really like it. It did help me find a few new places to hunt and fish. People would post on their comments of things they saw and of course I just had to go check them out. :)

I use a Garmin 12, still going strong after all these years.

A hard-core geocaching master here. I've been on the board of directors for our state's geocaching organization for the last couple years. We run a statewide geocaching education program and secure a lot of blanket landowner permits for geocache placements as well as host many geocaching events throughout the year. It's a great outdoor activity that gets whole families off the couch and back into the outdoors.

I have such a hard time browsing this site due to the use of the acronym "FTF" all over the place. That is a highly used geocaching acronym that stands for "First To Find". Kind of a game within the game to see who can get to a new geocache first after it is published. Everytime I see it on this site, my mind says "First To Find", which never seems to fit into the context of the rest of the post. ;)

As for your GPSr, while many of them will work and you can even geocache using a GPS-enabled smartphone, I highly recommend Garmin. I've been using Garmin since the days of their GPS-40 model from the early 1990's. The latest handheld models, such as the 62 series, will allow you to actually download up to thousands of geocache coordinates plus all the cache listing information right into the GPSr. This way you can pick and choose caches to hunt in the field, rather than having to sort through them on the computer at home and pick which ones to enter the coordinates for. You can actually load up your GPSr and just hit the field to decide which caches to look for while you're out there. Then the GPSr will keep track of your finds to make logging them online at home a lot easier.

Feel free to ask me any geocaching or GPSr questions you might have. I'll be glad to help.

A hard-core geocaching master here. I've been on the board of directors for our state's geocaching organization for the last couple years. We run a statewide geocaching education program and secure a lot of blanket landowner permits for geocache placements as well as host many geocaching events throughout the year. It's a great outdoor activity that gets whole families off the couch and back into the outdoors.

I have such a hard time browsing this site due to the use of the acronym "FTF" all over the place. That is a highly used geocaching acronym that stands for "First To Find". Kind of a game within the game to see who can get to a new geocache first after it is published. Everytime I see it on this site, my mind says "First To Find", which never seems to fit into the context of the rest of the post. ;)

As for your GPSr, while many of them will work and you can even geocache using a GPS-enabled smartphone, I highly recommend Garmin. I've been using Garmin since the days of their GPS-40 model from the early 1990's. The latest handheld models, such as the 62 series, will allow you to actually download up to thousands of geocache coordinates plus all the cache listing information right into the GPSr. This way you can pick and choose caches to hunt in the field, rather than having to sort through them on the computer at home and pick which ones to enter the coordinates for. You can actually load up your GPSr and just hit the field to decide which caches to look for while you're out there. Then the GPSr will keep track of your finds to make logging them online at home a lot easier.

Feel free to ask me any geocaching or GPSr questions you might have. I'll be glad to help.

Joat,

We did a few when we lived in Maine, mostly with the Scouts. It never crossed my mind here, but now I'm thinking it sounds like fun. Is there a link to your groups site? Or where are they located? I know you live down on the peninsula, but are there many up in the big city?

Stan

In Alaska, we have Geocache Alaska as a statewide non-profit representing all geocachers in the state. Most states have their own state and/or local organizations that do similar things. The biggest problem geocachers run into is permission to place caches on public lands. By forming a club, the groups can approach parks land managers to negotiate blanket use permits for geocaching.

As for Alaska, there are well over 4,000 geocaches in the state. I bet a quarter or more of those are in the Anchorage metropolis region.

In Alaska, we have Geocache Alaska as a statewide non-profit representing all geocachers in the state. Most states have their own state and/or local organizations that do similar things. The biggest problem geocachers run into is permission to place caches on public lands. By forming a club, the groups can approach parks land managers to negotiate blanket use permits for geocaching.

As for Alaska, there are well over 4,000 geocaches in the state. I bet a quarter or more of those are in the Anchorage metropolis region.

Thank JOAT, I will have to check it out.