Fly Tying
Matt B

Chartreuse Grub

I'm posting this pattern here because it is neither a cold or warm water pattern. I've seen similar patterns, one of which I think was a Lefty Kreh, tyed with silly legs and such. This is the one pattern I would never leave home without. It was originally given to me as a smallmouth pattern from my fly tying Sensei , but I found that it works on every species of fish I've presented it too. Just to give an idea, I've caught smallmouth, largemouth, perch, white bass, rock bass, crappie, rainbow and brown trout, bluegills, pickerel, and of course monster carp love this fly. If you don't have this in your box..... stop what your doing and run to your bench and bang a couple out. It's also a great pattern to show a beginner. Very easy!!!

Hook - size 4 thru 12 curved nymph hook

Tail - white marabou with some gold flash

Body - fluorescent chartreuse med. chenille

Weight - bead chain eyes

Thread - yellow or chartreuse

chartruesgrub.jpg

Nice pattern! I think I will tie some up. Just a few questions...How do you fish this fly? On or near the surface? If not, do you add weight to the line? Do you tie up any other colors?

Thanks guys, I had a good teacher. He'd say to me "Matthew! your either gonna be a fly tier or just a guy who ties flies!! Whats it gonna be?"

As to the question about presentation. I haven't really found a way of presenting this fly that doesn't take fish. You do really have to let the fish tell you how they want it, but here's how i do it. This fly will sink slowly with the bead chain eye's, but if I'm fishing a deep spot I start with one size BB split shot 6 to 12" above the fly, so you still get that natural movement. Short strips and pauses for smallies, and trout. Dead drift with a little movement every once and a while for pan fish, and stop action movement for carp. Carp like it right on the bottom.

As for colors. I've tied it in olive chenille, and black pearl. The olive is definitely a better choice for Largemouth, I'll even throw some silly legs on it to make it look more like a creature bait. Bottom line is the chartreuse seems to be the all around best. I don't know why, but it is. Maybe that would be different on the waters you fish.

Cheers

Nice looking fly, Matt B. I'm a big fan of flies that can be used for a variety of species and waters...some days it's creek fishing, some days it's pond or lake fishing.

I'm tellin you fellas, don't be caught without this pattern in your box. I like the burnt orange look, Shoebop. She'll take fish.