Fly Tying
Nick Williams

Rabbit strips

What's the difference between all the different rabbit strips? I've seen cross-cut, straight-cut, trout size, magnum size, bunnybou. There's a ton of different choices to choose from, so what's the difference in all of them?

Cross cut vs straight cut - this affects the orientation of the hair. On straight cut the hair folds and lays along the leather strip, on crosscut the hair lays perpendicular to the leather. When wrapping around the hook you have to pull the hair towards the bend when using a straight cut so that you aren't wrapping over it. With a crosscut the hair stays out of the way. I still prefer the straight as mst crosscut hat I have seen is thinner hair.

Trout vs magnum - this is a description of the width of the leather. I like trout (or regular) for size 4-12, for larger I like the magnum, since it takes fewer wraps.

Never used bunny bou

I'll second Crotalus' post. He has it all about the crosscut vs. regular or Zonker cut. Picture it as the strips are cut along the length of the hide for regular or Zonker strips, while they are cut crossways across the hide for crosscut strips. I think I own one package of crosscuts that I bought to try. Everything since then has been regular strips that I can either use as a wing or wrapped. You do have to be a little more careful wrapping them, but with the tendency for the hair to stick straight out while at rest in the water, movement will then push them back, causing the fly to breath a lot more.

As far as width, trout or regular size is usually 1/8th of an inch wide, while the magnums are about 1/4 inch wide. If you are going to be tying large stuff and are limited, buy the magnums and split a piece with a razor blade when you want the narrower strips. Hold them tight and cut from the hide side.

Deeky

that's why I like to cut all my own strips/zonkers. I found a couple of good suppliers of grade #1 large soft tanned natural & dyed rabbit hides for about $8-9 bucks. Then I can cut all the strips I need either straight or crosscut and enough dubbing for 2 lifetimes :)

Mike

Here is a picture I shot for illustrative purposes, from left to right; cross cut, straight, magnum, regular, thin.

post-1597-0-92294300-1330389584_thumb.jpg

that's why I like to cut all my own strips/zonkers. I found a couple of good suppliers of grade #1 large soft tanned natural & dyed rabbit hides for about $8-9 bucks. Then I can cut all the strips I need either straight or crosscut and enough dubbing for 2 lifetimes :)

Mike

Well that's awesome! Are you willing to share your supplier's name with us?! ;) Do you have trouble keeping your cuts straight doing that?? I imagine myself doing that and having terrible looking strips.

One of them is an Ebay Seller Native Sun Products, I believe they're out WI

http://stores.ebay.com/Native-Sun-Products?_rdc=1

They always have great supply of beautiful rabbit hides in various natural colors and some nice dyed colors.

The other is a local taxidermist in my area so not much help there :)

I just use a large old wooden cutting board and clamp the hide on one end, so I can pull the hide tight, the lift the other end up slightly to make my cuts. I made up a few strip cutters out of razor blades and craft stick(also know as Popsicle sticks but wider from our local walmart) the glue the sticks and blades together to create the strip thickness I want, i.e. 1/8", 1/4" ....etc.,

Mike

One of them is an Ebay Seller Native Sun Products, I believe they're out WI

http://stores.ebay.com/Native-Sun-Products?_rdc=1

They always have great supply of beautiful rabbit hides in various natural colors and some nice dyed colors.

The other is a local taxidermist in my area so not much help there :)

I just use a large old wooden cutting board and clamp the hide on one end, so I can pull the hide tight, the lift the other end up slightly to make my cuts. I made up a few strip cutters out of razor blades and craft stick(also know as Popsicle sticks but wider from our local walmart) the glue the sticks and blades together to create the strip thickness I want, i.e. 1/8", 1/4" ....etc.,

Mike

I just looked at some of the pelts from the ebay seller... and I think I will have to pick up a few! Thanks for helping move my obsession along Mike! :D