Fly Tying
Margaretann

Crappie jig colors

That's one of those questions that most everyone would have a different answer. If you look in catalogs at commercially tied jigs, they come in many colors. I've always done well when tying chenille bodied marabou jigs, with basic colors, white, black, chartreuse, pink, red, yellow, brown, olive, purple, & orange, and combinations of these. When tying combinations I'll usually make the bodies one color, and the tails a contrasting color, for example, a black body & yellow tail. Plus I like to add some flash to them in the tails, particularly pearl Flashabou or Krystal Flash and like tying the bodies with flashy chenille's like Estaz. You can do all types of things with crappies jigs, such as tie them with the many varigated chenilles, or add rubber legs to them, most anything you can think of as a fly, you can also tie as a jig. Jigs tied in the Woolly Bugger style can be very effective on Crappies. :)

Guest rich mc

check out crappie.com the jig and fly tyers there havelots of photos. rich mc

post-30681-0-25861900-1332694590_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-44675200-1332694615_thumb.jpg

Hi Margaretann, I caught these crappie on Friday on these jigs. I tend to stick with the natural colors of the indigenous forage for the waters I fish. In my case small threadfin shad. If the water is discolored I will use brighter colors primarily just on the head. I too like yellow, red and chartreuse. I tie these in different weights for a slower or faster descent rate but all are light enough to cast on a fly rod. Tin can body, hook wrapped with lead, rabbit tail, epoxy, sharpie colored, second epoxy coat. The proof in this case is in the cooler. Hope this helps. The other jigs that have been posted here all look fantastic and I bet work equally as well.

Nightheron great looking flies. Are you using tin from a pop can? Do you cut the tin into two halves and glue together? How do you get the tin to accept color? Thanks for any help. BF

Thanks Bigfoot, actually I fold a piece of Dr. Pepper can in half and cut to shape. I then "wrap" the folded piece around the vertical leg of the hook and glue together. I can't get color to take well on tin either. I add glitter to epoxy for a base coat then color the base coat after it dries and then apply a clear coat of epoxy.

Thanks for the help. Have you ever tried gesso paint as a base coat? It may work I use it on a lot of different materials never tried it on a tin can but will give it a try. Do you just use ca glue to glue the can together? BF

Bigfoot, I use super glue to barely hold the tin together. That first coat of epoxy serves several functions. First to completely bind the two pieces together, also to act as a leveling agent and to fill the gaps in the seams and finally as a base to apply color. I've not tried paints but gesso or an acrylic would probably work just fine. I just discovered the metallic sharpies which look great under epoxy.

For crappie I usually use pink or chartreuse jigs. When I throw them in the salt, I use all white

Thanks again for the help. I'm going to give it a try on tieing some of these up this weekend. What type of hook are you using? BF