Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Some Shrimp Heads and Poppers

He really likes the Shrimp Heads and the Olive of White Popper. I asked him to try the Black over gold/orange Rabid Dog on the redfish. I don't normally post pics of flies that I haven't field tested but I've fished this long enough in the smaller versions that I'm sure it will work in the larger, 1/0 version. I really like the way the gold foil comes out on these balsa minnows.

Kirk

BarretBertucci-4.jpg

BarretBertucci-5.jpg

BarretBertucci-11.jpg

Your friend is in for a treat...You tie some awesome flies Kirk.

I am digging the shrimp, tell me more.

Thanks...dave

Thanks Dave, Fshrm, and Peter.

That Shrimp Head is my friend's favorite of my flies and has been his most effective this spring. He used his last one last weekend and called me Monday wanting 5 each of size 2 & 4. I'll post some pics on tying it maybe tomorrow but basically, it has 1/8 inch wide lead tied on top of hook towards the rear and I use a dubbing brush for the wing by tying it off in the front bringing it around the back of the hook and back to the front and tie off and trim to shape.

It is a slow sinking fly great for shallow water and with the weight on top in rear, it darts around when retrieved. More weight would sink it faster.

Peter, I use 3mm black plastic beads on 20lb hard mason. I used to use glass beads and in fact I had to use a few I had left over to finish this order. I like the plastic cause they float and help the fly turn over. I slide the bead on the mono, melt the end of the mono and slide the bead up to the melting ball. The melted mono sticks the bead in place while epoxying.

Kirk

Kirk, those flies should not even be fished! Just put in a case and show them off! Excellent work. An SBS on the Shrimp (if you do not mind) would me terrific! The Striped Bass by me would devour them! Thanks for sharing!

Classy stuff, Rapala want their CD5 back!

Joe i think Kirk has done the shrimp head fly tutorial here...

https://picasaweb.google.com/KirkDietrich/ShrimpHeadFlyTutorial

:)

Mike, NY & Dream, thanks. I really like the way the minnow came out and works on the water.

The shrimp, whether the fish think its a shrimp or not, really works well and Mike put a link to the first version. However, I'm always changing the way I do things and have changed from when I first posted that fly.

I'll try to do some pics tomorrow of it in process.

Dream, I do tie for folks. The olive/white popper is tested and I sell those. The Rabid Dog Minnow is still going through field trials especially the one pictured with the SS spinnerbait wire extension; it holds up fine for LMB up to two pounds but I haven't tested it on redfish yet. I'm a little concerned that the wire extension may bend and the bait explode - while that would be pretty cool to witness and make a great story for the one that got away - I'd rather make sure it can handle at least a few 8lb redfish before I actually sell any.

Thanks,

Kirk