Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigfoot

Jade River Turbo Dubbing Block

I would like to know everybodies thoughts and opinions on the jade river dubbing block? I am thinking about buying one. Thanks BF

Wow, that sure looks like a unsubtle rip off of Jan Siman's "Turbo Spinning Block". Jan's tool is excellent, if a bit expensive. Cannot comment on this knock-off, but if you do not want to invest the minimal time and make your own, then I would get the Siman's original (source) before buying a poor copy.

bigfoot

i have never used a dubbing block as i do not tie flies that use dubbing brushes, but the jade river block looks to be well constructed and should do the task of making dubbing brushes just fine. certainly doesnt look like a poor copy to me. it looks like it has better hardware on the twisting end than the "turbo spinning block" and if its made in the USA, thats even better!

http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2011/11/18/jay-nicholas-jade-river-turbo-dub-block-10282011/

i have ordered material from jan simon and have always has good success. but thats not what this thread is about. he's not the only online dealer thats slow in delivering the goods.

i have ordered material from jan simon and have always has good success. but thats not what this thread is about. he's not the only online dealer thats slow in delivering the goods.

But it's nice to know with just a click about others who have not had your pleasant experience. In fact this thread isn't about Jan Simon at all, until someone brought him up. Service is a big part of all fly tiers' experience, whether it's feathers, thread, or any other mail-order item.

One (jade river) was listed at $65 on Ebay. That's a $25 difference over Jan Simon with free shipping. That's a seller in my book.