Luck o' the Irish

luck_o_the_irish.jpg

Luck o' the Irish

Hook: Kamasan B175 #12

Thread: Benecchi 12/0, black

Tail: Golden pheasant crest

Butt: Gudebrod waxed nylon, chartreuse

Rib: Wire, silver

Body: Yorkshire Fly-Body Fur, black (or any black yarn of dubbing)

Hackle: Hen, natural black

Throat: Partridge, dyed green

Wing: Bronze mallard

Cheers,

Hans W

Another good fly. Do you do anything to your tippet tails before tying them in? I've been told to soak them and lie them on some flat glass or plastic to 'set' the curve in them all the same? I find mine never tie in all curving up together.

Another good fly. Do you do anything to your tippet tails before tying them in? I've been told to soak them and lie them on some flat glass or plastic to 'set' the curve in them all the same? I find mine never tie in all curving up together.

Tippet just tied in as is.

Sure you can soak, lie flat, set a curve... works great for flies in frames. Not so great for those you fish - once in contact with water they will revert to whatever curvature they had on the GP head <_<

Cheers,

Hans W

Ah hadn't thought of that. Guess I just need to select a better group of fibres before I tie in. I sort of avoid the material so I'll need to make myself get back to it.

Ah hadn't thought of that. Guess I just need to select a better group of fibres before I tie in. I sort of avoid the material so I'll need to make myself get back to it.

Consider this. On the pheasant head the crest feathers are curved, yet 'straight'. If you have twisted feathers, they became/dried twisted after the bird became tying material. You may want to try soaking the feathers, then allow them to dry and resume their original shape.

Try it - you may be pleasantly surprised at the result B)

Cheers,

Hans W

Beautiful, lovely fly although I would personally have a heavier wing for fishing, its just what I am used to in my Irish flies.

Beautiful, lovely fly although I would personally have a heavier wing for fishing, its just what I am used to in my Irish flies.

Ashley,

The wing is actually heavier than it looks - as I spayed the barbs mostly horizontal, not vertical. Plus it looks a little lighter as I used the upper section of a bronze mallard feather, which comes out paler brown-grey.

Cheers,

Hans W