Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigfoot

Tussle Devil Bug

Does anyone know of a book that shows how to tie the tuttle Devil bug? Any help would be great. Thanks BF

I just caught I mispelled tuttle with tussle.

Mik's picture is of a Cooper Bug, this is a Devil Bug

The cooper bug was tied as a caddis imitation, the Devil bug was a mouse fly, so it was quite a bit larger. There were devil bugs in my grandpa old tackle box, and I think my dad may have has some. Long gone now.

post-12074-0-32821100-1338495810_thumb.jpg

Hi bigfoot,

I don't know of any books that show tying instructions for this fly. An article that ran in the 2009 FR&Reel about it, said that the body was made of twine and then covered with deer hair. I have an old mouse pattern. The hook is standard length, and around 1/0 - 2/0 in size. There's quite a bit of hair, tips to the back, and they used wire, not thread, to hold it together. There seems to be too much hair at the front for just what was used at the back of the fly and tied forward to make the ears and face of the mouse after trimming. It looks like they tied the hair from the back off, and then stacked another bunch in front of that, and then trimmed it. The wire behind the mouse's head you can't see, and I don't see any tying off in front of the head/face either, but the hair flares out ahead right to the hook eye and it may be just covered up. If you really want to see exactly how they are tied, buy one that's in crappy shape off of eBay and take it apart.

With all of the pictures on the net of these bugs, you could get pretty close just playing around with the amount of twine and deer hair depending on what style devil bug your trying to copy. They couldn't of made & sold thousands of these if they were super involved to make. We also have way better thread now that can handle deer hair so you don't have to rely on wire.

Regards,

Mark

i have this poster framed and up on the wall in my tying room but really never paid much attention to it. this morning i did and lo and behold on the bottom of the poster is what appears to be the tying sequence of the "devil bug" not the mouse. it also has a patent number and more info can be found by doing a Google search.

the-fishing-fly.jpg

devilbug2.jpg

google search results on the patent number

http://books.google.com/books?id=1egxvcpvv7cC&pg=RA5-PR15&lpg=RA5-PR15&dq=patent+1,302,102+o.c.+tuttle&source=bl&ots=lxPQdbZa7g&sig=R5kkbusry9gNloS496v_lreDSPQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4UTLT6yjB4TL0QGospifAQ&ved=0CHUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=patent%201%2C302%2C102%20o.c.%20tuttle&f=false

screen shot from the link above

devilbug.jpg