Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dreamcaster4639

leader question

I have been using 5x 9' tapered leaders for panfish and bass. I use 2mm oval rings that I have been using between the leader and tippet. I have been cutting about 2' off the leader then attaching a ring then attaching tippet.

My question is.. Is that a proper way to do it or am I just wasting a good leader?

My thinking for doing so is I can tie the ring on with a slightly larger leader end. Therefore making a better connection. Also the rings allow for tippet changes without shortening the leader.

Just trying to figure out how to be an efficient yet effective fly fisher.

I don't belive there is a proper way to really do anything. For both bass and panfish, it wouldn't ruin the presentation or cause lost fish. If that works for you and your conditions, then by all means, continue doing it!

Thank You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf

No problem. for nymphing I've used furled leaders with a ring to attach tippet. I've used store bought knotless tapered leaders, and I've used my own hand tied leaders. I believe my catch rate remained the same. I believe it comes down to technique (presentation) and skill.

One "trick" worth considering is to take the tippet end of the new leader and double it back on itself so that you have a double thickness of tippet in your hand. If you now slide the end up the length of the leader you can identify where the leader starts to thicken (i.e. the end of the terminal tippet section). When I used extruded leaders I used to cut there, and then tie it back together with a triple surgeons knot so that I would always know how close I was to needing to add tippet. The same should obviously work with a tippet ring, but I have never used one.

Mike.

If you now slide the end up the length of the leader you can identify where the leader starts to thicken (i.e. the end of the terminal tippet section). When I used extruded leaders I used to cut there

I tend to agree with above. I use the 9' leaders quite a bit and will use a 10lb leader then tie the ring to the end as it comes. I then fish 4lb-8lb tippet to the end of that taking my leader to between 12'- 15' Or with 8lb leader I'll fish 3lb-6lb etc.

Sometimes I prefer a shorter leader, especially when fish are shallow cause I find they hit the fly early and I often miss them on the longer leaders. Then I'll trim the 9' leader back to the start of the taper, often about 1' and tie the ring on and then fish a short section of tippet.